Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 9, 2004, 8:26 PM   #1

I'm confused. Its says, that DX6490 zoom is equivalent to 38-380mm in the SLR format. While in other forums, they were saying its only 38-138. Does this means that 38-380mm in SLR is a combined optical and digital zoom of DX6490 and the 38-138 is for the optical zoom?
sdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 5:29 AM   #2

38-380 is the optical zoom..

Starts at 38mm,,,,times that by ten you get 380mm.....the digital zoom is added on top of that,,,,the digital zoom really is not needed and lessens the pic quality,,,i only use the digital zoom when i don`t care about pic quality

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 5:41 AM   #3

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
i only use the digital zoom when i don`t care about pic quality

Brian
I never use digital zoom because I cannot hold the camera still enough without a tripod.

If I need to zoom in on a subject I think it's best towhen editing, as the subject will be sharp and in focus. (well, hopefully)
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 10:49 AM   #4

When they say a camera zoom is 10X they are referring to the relative power between the widest setting and the longest telephoto. In this case 38-380 as has been pointed out.

The actual focal length of the lens is 6.3–63.2mm. It has to be in a 10:1 ratio. With the much smaller sensor than a 35mm frame the actual picture size is the same as a 38–380mm lens on a 35mm camera.

The reason they give it in 35mm equivalent is that every sensor size gives a different ratio. People know that 28mm in a 35mm camera is a medium wide angle where 38mm is a mile wide angle. So they can look at the 35mm equivalent and know whether the lens is biased toward wide angle or telephoto. And also get an idea of the actual power of the telephoto.

50mm is considered a standard lens in a 35mm camera. So 380 mm is thought of as a 7.6 power. 50mm is just a convenience. The actual number for one power in a 35mm is 57mm, which is the diagonal of the frame (I think). So a 380mm lens is actually 6.67 power as it would relate to binoculars or telescopes.

My guess is that the 38-138 just refers to a different camera. Either that or somebody pulled the number from a damp dark place.

Quote:
If I need to zoom in on a subject I think it's best towhen editing, as the subject will be sharp and in focus. (well, hopefully)

I don't think it makes any difference whether you crop in the camera with the digital zoom or with an image editor as far as camera shake goes.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote