Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 13, 2004, 9:02 PM   #1
kgy

Just got our 6440 today. Went through the manual and clicked off liveview and quickview (to save battery life) and then went thru and checked other settings. Did this after charging the battery fully. (we have the dock)

We're using the Ni-MH battery that came with the dock.

Anyone with this camera that would like to give us pointers, I'd appreciate it.

Would a portable battery charger be useful to us? I'm already searching for the best buy on another backup Ni-MH battery cause I notcied when I put it back on the dock after checking settings that only one green light was lit.

Anyone have a suggestion on a portable battery charger for this model?

Any suggestions on a card reader?

**On another note, the camera is awesome. Installing the software was easy and transfering the pictures from the dock to our computer was so simple. The Kodak software for "fixing" pictures is so easy.
kgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2004, 5:41 AM   #2

i talked with kodak this monring and you can buy battery direcly from phone or you can go to ebay and search...there are a lot
simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 6:07 AM   #3

jus a little heads up on that Camera, I work at Sams Club and we had a lot of returns of that particular camera cause the motor that brings the lens out seams to malfunction if not taken care of well. The best thing to do, try not to keep it in a bag, and make sure u dont have anything in front of it when u turn it on.

As for the battery, I'd say get the recharger kit for it, or an extra battery, I completly forgot that its not the one that doubles with the AA format batteries. Have fun with ur camera, u got a great one with a great lens.
kaleo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 3:59 PM   #4
kgy

Thanks for your replies. appreciate the input.

Another question but this is about the software that Kodak sends with the camera. I did the full install and I'm betting that was the wrong thing to do. I saw the "custom install" button but not knowing much about the software and being new to digital cameras, I figured I'd just do the full install and come back and fix later.

OK, it's later. Anyone a pro at this software? What should I keep and what should I delte? Thanks

Old May 18, 2004, 7:51 PM   #5

I did a full install,,the only thing i did when asked was to not let it turn anything it wants into a Kodak jpg,,,,,this was asked during the install,,,i did not want every pic i save going to ES...just the pics from the DX6490..

This should be easily changed when you have ES open under tools i would think..

I have had no problems with this program at all,,,i can open Photoshop Elements 2.0 (PSE2) get the pic from the ES program,,,play with it at will in PSE2 and then click on "save as" under PSE2 and send it right back to ES where it will be in albums of my making and under dates,etc....

The program works great,,,i have the dock,,push the button and i KNOW exactly where my pics are,,,every time,,,,perfect,,,,,,thanks Kodak for making it easy,,,i have enough fun at work with all the onboard computers and programs for fuel mangement and transmissions and ABS brakes,On-star navigation,body computers,electronic compasses,,,,Mitchell On-Demand service manuals on the internet,etc,,,,,kind of nice not to have to come home,,,take a few pics,,,and sit at a computer for another 8 hours,,,any tech in the automtive trade is getting what i`m saying here...

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 9:06 PM   #6
kgy

Brian, what tab, under preferences, are you talking about?

On mine, I have "General", "transfer", "after transfer", "tagged pictures", and "online settings".

Under General, I have a slider that says JPEG compression and a box that is checked for Kodak to notify me of updates.
Old May 18, 2004, 9:23 PM   #7

Wellllll,,,i can`t find it either,,i know there is a way to do this,,,maybe someone else can tell us,,,,if not i`ll find out as soon as possible..

Brian
Old May 18, 2004, 10:33 PM   #8
kgy

Thanks
Old May 25, 2004, 5:44 PM   #9

kgy,,,,,go to this link at dpreview,,,Bill may have your answer,,,he works at kodak,,,,and developed the ES program,,,no one would be able to answer this better than him,,,sorry it took awhile for a response from him....here`s the link..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8922624