Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 15, 2004, 10:22 AM   #1

After seeing the specs on the new DX7440 it is all I can do to wait - I hate waiting for new toys. I have been to play with the DX7630 and love its interface and features and it seems the DX7440 is the same packaging just with a larger zoom and less resoulution (4 vs 6.1). Has anyone else any thoughts on these new cameras?

P.S. Steve seemsed to really like the DX7630
mrmegadeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 4:45 AM   #2

The 7440 is on the top of my list of "waiting for" cameras - the others being the Sonys W1 and P100. Also considering the Canon A80. There's a $50 range in price among the four. I downloaded the manual from Kodak U.S., and love the features. Unlike the 6440, there's "fine" and "standard" compression (the 6440 overcompresses, some say, to only1mb per pic.) Having played with the 7630, I love the size and feel - the 7440 is the same body. It's large enough not to slip out of the hand, but small enough to fitin a loose pocket. The features are incredible. It has a number of selections a button away, that some cameras don't even offer. For example, a button on top will bring up "auto exposure bracketing" -a terrific feature. There is aperture and shutter priority option, as well as fullmanual.The "scene" mode brings up a range 16 programmed modes. A lot of the controlsfrom the 6490 are there, plus others. It looks to me like this could be the best overall camera they've ever made...

...With two possible exceptions: Lack of PictBridge option (they want you to use their system), and a possible biggie - the CCD is only 1/2.5, rather than the 1/1.8 one might expect from a "higher end" camera. That's stopping me from getting one sight unseen and first in line.I'll need to see some reviews first. Still, with that 2.2 LCD and great feature set, this is likely to be my next camera.

Impressions from others?

Dave
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 9:52 AM   #3

Yes,,,the 7440 looks to be a nice cam,,lots of features added,,,i`m really getting interested in the DX7590,,,can`t wait to see what it`ll be like,,,i really need the 10X zoom my DX6490 has,,,time will tell,,,might be upgrading to another Kodak..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 9:58 PM   #4

I'm extremely interested in this camera but one thing I noticed - under "features" it lists all the manual modes. when it comes to focus is says "auto-focus" and then lists a few options like center, left, right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means it does NOT have a manual focus mode right? I'm new to digital cameras but wouldn't manual focus be one of the 3 most important options in a manual mode?(along with f-stops and speeds of film) This seems to weaken the camera a lot for those of us who want to use this as a manual camera.

If this doesn't have manual focus I think I'm back to getting the canon a80 instead.

rizorith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 10:12 PM   #5

I'm afraid you're right re: manual focus. I've been looking through the manual (on the Kodak site), and it's clearly not an option. It does have ISO selection from 80 to 800, and a range of other choices, but not manual focus. Darn. I just checked out an A80 today, and it is real nice, but, gosh, that LCD is small! It seems one is always giving up something, or making trade-offs.

Dave
Old May 17, 2004, 11:05 AM   #6

yah I really wish I was wrong about the new kodak. I think I'm going to go with the a80 myself but I really wish they had a new model out already. I'm pretty sure a new one will be coming soon but I don't have the patience to wait.

Why aren't more camera manufacturers putting in full manual? Do we have to spend $1000+ for a SLRjust to get manual?
rizorith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:54 PM   #7

It's june now, has ony one seen or tried the new Kodak 7440?????:?

John
jsentani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:43 PM   #8

Assuming good initial reviews, I will probably be buying the 7440 shortly after it is released. I played around with the 7630, which appears tobe essentially the same camera with more megapixels and less zoom,and thought it was great. However, I would rather have the 4x zoom than 6 megapixels.
TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 7:41 PM   #9

Tony,,,,,,i could be wrong,,,but wouldn`t you get just as good results with the 7630,,,,1X is not much difference,,,the extra 2 megapixels is though,,,you could crop the photo and enlarge well past the point of the extra 1x the 7440 has,,,and get better results too,,,because of the extra 2 million+ pixels in the 7630,,,a good photoediting program can act like a zoom lense somewhat,,,,,if the pixel count is high enough that you do not loose the quality

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:23 PM   #10

Of course, the 7630 is $150 more than the 7440, as well, which is a factor.

Dave