Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 16, 2004, 2:30 PM   #1
Kat

I would like to know what is the best method and materials for safely cleaning the lens on mydx6490.
Thanks,

Kat
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 4:38 PM   #2

I just use a lenspen, works fine.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 5:58 PM   #3

Hi,,,the best method i`ve found over the years with SLR equipment with the 11 lenses i had was this.

Go get some Kodak cleaning fluid,,,and Kodaklense tissues,,,and a blower-brush,,,lightly brush off any dust particles,sand,etc.....

Dampen one lense tissue and very gently,,,in a circular pattern wipe the entire front element of the lense with the dampened tissue...

next,,,get a clean dry lense tissue and in the same circular patternwipe the lense dry...

Finally use the blower on the brush to blow any lint off....

There are lots of easier ways,,,but none are as kind to the multi-coating on the lense front element,,,if you use another method that could get dust,etc on it,,,you may ruin this multi-coating,,thus ruining the DC..

The tissues are easy to use,,,are sealed in a pouch or cardboard sleve so no dust/oil from fingerprints can damage them,,,and the fluid is made to clean MC lenses without harming the elements coatings..

Just make sure you only slightly dampen the tissue,,,you do not want it wet,,,the cleaning solution can get under and between the elements if too much is used..

Also do not use any pressure when cleaning and drying,,,,you only have to glide the damp tissue across the lense in a circular pattern and it will be perfectly clean..

This method is the tried and true,,and the only method a pro would use to clean a lense he spent hundreds of dollars on,,,,I have used a cloth by 3M before in emergencys,,,but only when i absolutely had too

Hope this helps..

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 1:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the input Brian. I have all of that gear from my SLR days. Would you use the same on the viewing screen (which seems more sensitive)?

Thanks, John
JohnSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 5:48 PM   #5

Yes,,,on the EVF,,,,but not on the Lcd,,,the LCD is plastic,,get a screen protector for it,,,,,e-bay has them,,,and they stick directly to the LCD,,,if you scratch it,,,you just peel it off and put a new one on,,,if you don`t have the protector film you`ll scratch the LCD clear plastic "lense",,,,and then your in trouble...

Brian
Old May 26, 2004, 7:13 PM   #6

My camera still has the original film that it came with in place, all I did was peel it back a little to remove the sticker on the right and then put it back.

Mind you, I have gota replacement protector if I ever need it.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 8:45 PM   #7

Paul,,,aren`t you crafty,,,,,,i was going to do that to,,,,but i found the protectors exact fit on e-bay for a good price,,,and decided to leave the film on until i got them,,,then i removed the original,,,,and put the new one on....

Brian