Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 19, 2004, 10:42 AM   #1

Hi!

Would like to know your comment or suggestion. I'm having problems to get a subject in focus when shooting in low light. I usually get a 'Red' circle instead of the 'Green' which means in focus already. Is there a correct or better menu settings in terms of 'Focusing', 'Metering', etc?

Thanks in advance!
sdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2004, 10:52 AM   #2

Could you show us some examples to see how they are coming out.

Cheers

Paul.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 10:58 PM   #3

Quote:
I'm having problems to get a subject in focus when shooting in low light. I usually get a 'Red' circle instead of the 'Green' which means in focus already.
Are you sure that focus is the problem?

The red circle means that EITHER focus or exposure is wrong. If you look slightly below the circle, you should see a symbol, either "AF", indicating that focus is the problem, or "AE", meaning that the exposure is wrong.

Unfortunately, my 6490 seems to assume that any exposure longer than 1/15 second must be incorrect. It often tells me I need to try again, but I go ahead and take the shot and it usually turns out okay. Of course, hand-holding long exposures is tricky, but it can be done... sometimes!

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 5:21 AM   #4

I`ve found in low light shots when in auto mode that you will get the AF failed icon,,,,sometimes,,,but if you flip the flash up it will focus fine...and the AF failed icon will not usually be there anymore

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 5:13 PM   #5

Thanks Rob!

Yes, sometimes the problem is with the exposure. But in low light, sometimes it keeps on trying to focus on the subject back and forth. Its like that the camera is trying to focus on the much lighted part of the subject.
sdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
But in low light, sometimes it keeps on trying to focus on the subject back and forth. Its like that the camera is trying to focus on the much lighted part of the subject.
I find it helps to shoot in PASM mode, where you can change the "Focus Zone" setting to "Center Zone". This means your framing marks will not move. Try to avoid including any background (especially brightly-lit background) in the area between the framing marks. Even then, autofocus seems to fail about one out every three tries in very low light. The only thing I know to do is try again. The second attempt usually works.
Old May 22, 2004, 2:44 PM   #7

Sorry, this item was mistakenly posted to the wrong thread. I'm moving it to the 'Petition Kodak' thread, where it should have been in the first place.