Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 26, 2004, 5:17 PM   #1

Here`s a shot of the Bald Eagle i got yesterday,,,i`ve posted a bunch on dpreview.com on the kodak forum,,,so i thought i`d post one here....this was taken late in the day,,,at 10x zoom with the DX6490..the eagle was about 25-30 feet up in an evergreen tree,,,i was about 20 feet or so from the tree shooting up at him...

Brian
Attached Images

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2004, 5:21 PM   #2

Nice shot, wish i had a 10x zoom. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 7:46 PM   #3

Yes it`s definately a needed item when doing a pic like this,,,but can`t you get a tele adapter for your DC.....

Brian
Old May 26, 2004, 8:00 PM   #4

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot, wish i had a 10x zoom. :-)

I wish I had an eagle to take a picture of.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 8:19 PM   #5

Great shot, Brian!

You've commented elsewhere that patience is a major factor in getting shots like this. I can understand that, but can you say anything more about how you get the DX6490 to cooperate when you're trying to be patient?

As I've said in another thread, I'm very frustrated by the 45 second limit on focus lock. I like to photograph hummingbirds, and the only way I've found is to be ready for them when they appear -- they don't exactly hold a pose for long! But every time I settle down to wait (patiently) for the critters to make an appearance, the camera's power-saving function kicks in, and I find myself staring at a blank LCD.

I get very weary of having to refocus every 45 seconds. If you can offer any pointers to make the process easier, I'll be grateful.

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 5:25 AM   #6

Yes,,i know what you mean here,,,,,i`m going to get into this area soon capturing hummingbirds too.....don`t think there is a "work arround" on this subject...i`ll let you know if i find out anything interesting on the focus lock topic,,,but i think you`re right,,probably will have to deal with it another way,,,if possible..

Brian
Old May 27, 2004, 5:28 AM   #7

Paul,,,,fly over here,,,sleep on my floor on an air mattress for free,,,i`m willing to take you to them,,,but you probably think it`s not worth it....kind of pricey flying these day`s,,,at least i could save you the hotel fee...LOL..

Brian
Old May 27, 2004, 5:37 PM   #8

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
Paul,,,,fly over here,,,sleep on my floor on an air mattress for free,,,i`m willing to take you to them,,,but you probably think it`s not worth it....kind of pricey flying these day`s,,,at least i could save you the hotel fee...LOL..

Brian

Brian,

I may take you up on the offer, but I have a feeling the eagles would be long gone by then.

But one day you never know?

Cheers.

Paul.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 7:35 PM   #9

That all depends on how long you take to get here,,,,they are in a nest they`ve had for at least 3 years that i know of,,,and i could be wrong but i think they are mating,,,,so i don`t expect them to leave anytime soon,,,,maybe this fall ,,,then i expect they`ll return in the spring again as usual.

Brian
Old May 27, 2004, 9:04 PM   #10

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
don`t think there is a "work arround" on this subject...i`ll let you know if i find out anything interesting on the focus lock topic,,,but i think you`re right,,probably will have to deal with it another way,,,if possible..
Thanks, Brian. Unless Kodak chooses to fix this -- which is probably unlikely, even though it is a design flaw -- I think the only way to deal with it is by...um...dealing with it! But your eagle shots prove that we don't have to let this annoyance get in the way of taking great pictures.

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote