Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 28, 2004, 8:01 PM   #1

hey guys, this is my first post. i just got my 6490 and in a couple weeks i will be spending a week on a house boat and im sure there will be no excess shade while im on it. what my question is, if it is a very sunny week will my pictures be affected at all with out a polarized lense? maybe im all wrong as far as even knowing what a polarized lense is, but i am wondering. thanks alot everyone.

geoff
geroff135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 9:23 PM   #2

A polarizer reduces reflections and gives more sky/cloud contrast. You can duplicate the contrast improvement in an image editor, but you can't duplicate the reflection reduction. That might be significant for pictures from a houseboat. And scenery looks better -–especially with clouds in a blue sky.

I have a polarizer for my Minolta D7i left over from my 35mm days but don't use it that much. Reflections aren't usually a big deal and I usually work with an image in Photoshop before printing or displaying it.

A polarizer is a bright sunlight only item unless you use a tripod. A polarizer is usually a 3X neutral density filter, which means you get 1/3 the light to the sensor. You run into shutter speed problems handheld in less than bright sunlight.

You shouldn't drive a boat IMO without polarized sunglasses. You can see stuff just below the surface you can't see with regular sunglasses. All serious fishermen in my area wear them as well because you can see fish better. Last week there was a school of mullet swimming near the dock and I pointed them out to my friends. The fish were clear as a bell and very close but my friends couldn't see them because they weren't wearing polarized glasses. Wal-Mart has a nice selection for less than $15. Campmor.com has some really good prices on name brand polarized glasses:
http://search.campmor.com/webapp/com...amp;sub=search

Once you get your polarized sunglasses you can get a direct idea what a polarizing filter will do for the camera. Tilt your head so the glasses are perpendicular to the ground. The glasses aren't polarizing the light and you will see a big difference (actually they are, but in a different plane from the naturally polarized light). Especially looking at the water or cumulous clouds in a blue sky.

These are two shots I happen to have online that I took testing just holding my polarized glasses over the lens of my pocket camera. It won't take filters so I was curious as to whether the glasses would work. The top photo is without the polarization and the bottom one with it. Notice the difference in the reflections from the window and trim. Also notice how much brighter the contrast between the clouds reflected off the fender. I'll just provide a link as the content isn't for general consumption – although the owner of the car seemed to think it was:
http://www.pbase.com/image/15070822/large

I don't see any screw threads in the lens so I assume Kodak must make an adapter or you wouldn't be asking.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 11:31 AM   #3

hey i really appreciate the time you took to help me out, thanks alot.
geoff
geroff135 is offline   Reply With Quote