Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 30, 2004, 3:10 PM   #11

That was strange it only affected a couple of pictures.

I first removed some noise (grain) with Helicon Noise filter you can get it free here

http://helicon.com.ua/pages/index.php?noisefilter

Then I used Paint Shop Pro 8 to clone some of theskin near to the blobs and then I used a little blur to smooth it over and finally I used the one step fix to freshen it up.

If you want, send the full sized images to [email protected] and I'll have a go at them. (best to send them one at a time)
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 3:32 PM   #12
kgy

Thanks so much. I've learned a lot this morning.
kgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 6:00 PM   #13
kgy

OK guys, maybe this has been addressed in this forum before but I couldn't find it so will ask: with the DX6440, what would you say would be the best setting when I'm taking pictures inside the High School gym in 2 weeks at my son's graduation?

We'll be sitting in the bleachers that high school gyms have and not sure exactly how far away we'll be from the podium but it's your average high school gym.

Thanks,

Greg
kgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 7:08 PM   #14

A flash gun would be the answer if the 6440 supported an external flash.

There is a alternative option (this is a UK based site but I'm sure you could find it nearer to home)

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=72552

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 7:58 PM   #15

I do not think an external flash can be used with the 6440,if it could that would be your best option...

The second best option is to use night mode without flash,,,you`ll need a monopod/tripod for this,,,the shutter speeds will be real slow but the exposure would turn out great,,,,,,the flash onboard will never make it that far,,,experiment with the night mode,,,go outside take a few pics of something that is not white,,,,just as it`s getting dark outside,,,your car or something would work well for this,,,and see what happens,,i`ve seen concert shots taken in night mode that turned out really well considering that it`s almost completely dark at a concert,,,you will have more light than that so this should really work well for you....

AS for your pics you posted,,,,almost everything except the peoples faces is black,,,,the camera is trying to compensate for the black background and either set the shutter speed to slow (allowing to much light in)or let to much light in open aperature and almost fried the image trying to make up for the black background,,,,,,,i see the people were on either side of the image,,,so the camera probably took an exposure reading of the middle,,,the almost black curtains,,,,if i was taking that shot with my 6490 i would use have used the external flash i have,,or used the night mode,,,which i think would have turned out a lot better than that....i see red eye so i quess you did use the flash,,,next time trynight mode,,,no flash,,,and see what you get..

Paul is right though they have external flashes that trigger when your onboard flash does,,it does this without a sync or PC cord...they work well,,,,i`ve been to graduations though,,,and they may frown on the use of flash photography,,best to check first,,,,,but i`d use the flash anyway,,,i`d get at least a few good shots before they kicked me out...

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 6:19 AM   #16

A fellow forumer here has an external flash that triggers off the onboard if you want to get it,,,,i`ll post a link to his auction if he doesn`t,,,as soon as he gets it up ...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote