Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 30, 2004, 11:07 PM   #1

Hi

I really cann't decide between 6490 and Canon S1IS. I will be taking these types of pics

a) Some indoors, some outdoors, night shoots.

b) I have a camera for some of the pics , I get a camera shake or I see a shadow around the pic.

c) Some shoots will be close , some I need to zoom a little bit more . I like IS but for the price its only 3.2 MP but the biggest pic I will print is 8X11.

d) I want to have a ability to take some pics on auto and manual also. If anyone has either of those camers please post your comments. I am looking for a camera between 3.2 and 4.0 which is easy to use and good quaility pics.

willbemcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2004, 11:30 PM   #2

Both those are supposed to be very nice cameras, I've played with a 6490 in the store a little and it's definitely a top notch camera, although in the end I didn't buy it because you can't manual focus it. I ended up getting a Fuji S5000 because of the manual focus issue. That might or might not be an issue for you, but since you mentioned you'd like to take some both on auto and manual I thought it would be worth mentioning. That said, the 6490 takes fabulous pictures, and has that trademark Kodak color, very, very rich.

I've never seen a bad product from Canon either, though, so I'm not a lot of help there, and I have no experience with the model you mentioned. My best advice would be to look over a few reviews of each really carefully, then go somewhere that you can look at both of them and compare them. If you're in the USA, there's probably a Best Buy or Circuit City near you where you could do that. Our local Best Buy store actually has the Kodak on display with the printer dock so people can try it out by taking a trial picture and printing it.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:06 AM   #3

Hi

I looked at the reviews of both Canon and Kodak. Both of the reviews were good. I wanted to know from someone who has anyone of them. I went to CircuitCity and tested both of them its pretty hard to tell the difference except in Canon where I took a pic with Image Stabalization and without only then I could tell the difference.

Whats the best way to avoid camera shake . What is barrel distortion and pin cushioning. How is Minolta Dimage Z2. This is also one of the cameras I am looking at also.

Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:45 PM   #4
kgy

I can't speak from the professional side but will give you a "newbie's" opinion.

We were looking at the S1 also, along with Fuji and Canon. I spent weeks reading and looking. We finally went with the Kodak and I'm so glad we did.

I love the software and ease of transfering pictures from camera to computer (using the dock)

And the Kodak people are very helpful with my "silly" questions. I love the ability to order the pictures right through the software if we want prints and they give you a long list of which to choose to send your pictures. The rates are great too although there were a few places I would avoid. Their prices seemed out of whack with the rest.

The picture quality on our Kodak is so good that my naighbor, who has a S1, said he thought the picture quality was equal to his. Now, he's an expert. Was he being nice to me? I doubt it cause he's a pain in the a$$ neighbor. One of those "I own the neighborhood" neighbors. :lol:

One person I'd suggest you speak with on here in BrainHare. He's been most helpful to me in the selection and after the selection process. And ColdSnail too. Sorry bud, didn't mean to leave you out cause you've been helpful to me also.
kgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:06 PM   #5

One of life's biggest questions at the moment is "What Camera?"

I use the DX6490 and I'm more than happy with it. Sure there are cameras out there with more zoom, more pixels, image stabilisation, adapters in the box, a bit faster, a different nameetc, but the thing about the Kodak that swung it for me was the feel of the body, the zoom, the colour chip and the Schneider-Kreuznach-Variogon lens which if you were buying on it own would be a good few quid.

I'm sure Brianwill back me up on this one.
Just readSteve's reviews,buy one, use it and enjoy.

All the best Paul.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:44 PM   #6

I really do not "sell" cameras,,,i can tell you some things you may or may not know though,,,and then you decide...

Canon has always made a good camera,,,i have an Elph 2 aps camera that takes great pics...

My problem with the Canon is it`s only 3.2 megs,,,you have nothing left to crop if you want to enlarge at all....I.S is a good thing for long shots if you can`t hold a camera steady,,,or do not want to use a tripod......

The Canon has a better movie mode 640 X 480,,,the 6490 has 320 X 240,,,and the canon focuses quieter so you won`t hear any motor noise during the movie recording,,,,but i bought a camera to take pics,,not movies.....

The Canons 1.5 inch LCD is small compared to the DX`s 2.2 inch screen,,,and trust me,,,that makes a large difference in the field when using the LCD to compose a shot...

The Canon`s viewfinder has only 114 k LCD screen,,,,the DX6490 has 180k,,,i know someone will say "who cares",,,well,,,,,,,you have to use it to compose shots a lot,,,and with the Canon,,which has manual focus,,,,how are you going to see if the focus is on,,,or not,,,,...Steve here states that manual focus on these cameras are useless,,,,,,ecspecially with a low res LCD viewfinder,,,,The Canon is missing some 66,000 pixels in the viewfinder,,,that is a lot...

The Canon has an optional remote,,,,,,the only thing i wish Kodak would have made for the DX....great for hiding in the bushes,,,,and tripping the shutter when a hummingbird shows up,,,,you could place the camera on a tripod inches from the feeder,,,,,,I.S. WON`T HELP YOU THERE,,,,IT WON`T HOLD THE CAMERA OFF THE GROUND....

The Canon has moderate barrel distortion and purple fringing,,,the purple fringing on the 6490 is low.....

The DX6490 has low light autofousing,,,,big plus....

The DX Family of DC`s are easy to use,,,,that`s why they call it the Easy-Share system,,,plop it on the dock,,,push the one button,,,and they go straight to the program,,,,,,and the dock charges the battery for you too at the same time...

Yes i know,,,this is getting long,,,bear with me it`ll all be over soon....

If Canon would have made it 4megs or 5megs.....maybe i`d buy it,,,i`m not getting anything less than i have now,,,i still want ease of use but 5megs or better is the only thing opening my wallet any time soon....

Canon,,,like i stated is a good camera,,,,Kodak is also a good camera...if you want to take pictures,,,,the better movie mode is useless,,,the manual focus is also useless too on the Canon...

All i can tell you are the facts of each,,,,when the 7590 comes out,,,,,,if it`s got 5megs and all the scene modes of the 7630,,,and any other improvements that Kodak blesses us with,,,,i`ll probably beat some old granny into a pulp in line for it....

i`ve been taking pictures for about 25 years with SLR equipment,,,,with 11 lenses,and 20+filters,,,and so on,and so on.....the pics i`ve done lately really impress me,,,i`m not impressed easily,,,if the 6490 was junk,,,i`d have sold it,,,and moved on....

If you can wait for the DX7590 to be realeased i`d wait,,,,,other than that read all the reviews,,,i may be biased here,,,,,but for a fairly good reason,,,this camera works,,,everytime...

There is no way i`d buy a 3.2 meg Kodak either,,,just not enough,,,,spend large,,,get large,,,or be left behind.....

If you need any direct questions answered about the DX6490,,,or photography in general,,,i`m always arround.....Good luck looking..

Anyone sleeping yet...

Brian

Oh,,,the flipping mirror thing in the minolta is retarded,,,,and if you pick it up it feels like plastic,,,does not feel like quality,,,these DC`s are not cheap,,,,and should not feel that way either...

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:31 PM   #7

Thanks Brian

I really appreciate your comments about the Kodak, can you please post some sample pics . To me if I want to take movies I can take those with my camcorder not camera . I saw DX7440 this looks more compact then 6490.

Is DX6490 also good for taking lots of night shots. I guess I will only get a camera shake if my hands shake too much otherwise I shouldn't worry about it as thats the only thing which makes 1S great .
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:24 AM   #8

Dno`t get me wrong,,,but I.S. can be usefull,,,,,and you can get better shots at long focal lengths,,,,,,but it`s not a necessary item,,,the main fault,,,and only real one with the Canon is the lack of at least 4megs,,,if you take a shot and do not frame it dead on,,,and have to crop that image,,,,your photos will suffer when enlarging anywheres near 11 X 14,,,,you may not want to go this large,,,but what if you get some really spot on pics,,,,,then you will not be able to,,,,

Get yourself at least a 4meg DC,,,anyones,,,,,,if Canon brings out a 4meg 10x,,,,get it,,,,i love this 6490 though,,,results are really impressive,,everyone that sees my posted pics think so to,,,,and hear we are limited to 100k......

Pics,,,,well,,,,,what would you like to see,,,i`ve got about 400 now,,,you better get a DC soon if you want to catch up,,,,,400,,,and those are the ones i liked,,,,i only keep pics i really like....

I`ll make you the same offer that i`ve made at another forum,,,,,,i took some Bald Eagle pics,,,,all at 10X zoom,,,with a tripod,,,,,i have 5,,,,if you want i`ll e-mail them too you one at a time,,,,i`ve sent these out to 6 people now,,,one person said he was going to frame them and put them on his wall in his study for inspiration....

I`m still blushing from that comment,,,,,that`s some praise,,,,,he`s one nice person,,,and he has this same camera too,,,i`m more than willing to teach,,,,if i can,,,,,and share,,,,if you want,,,,,,,just message me and after work i`ll send them out to you.....

At least you can get a fair look at the pics at full file size,,,,unaltered,,,,then you can decide,,,,,

I also havemacro pics that would impress anyone,,,,this camera takes awsum macro pics,,,,

Oh,,,,,the 6490 is great for night shots,,,but i do not have any,,,,no time to try this out yet....

Paul,,,,post some night pics,,,you`ve almost certainly have some.....

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:14 AM   #9

Here's a couple of quickies, I'll post some better ones later.

Right, I'm off out for the day I'll add some later.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:26 PM   #10

Thanks does 6490 has a lot of purple fringing, I mean lines accross drak colors. Does anyone has Canon 1S and what to post their review.