Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:26 PM   #11

jhoo wrote:
Quote:
did i CA the screw?

Use a thread locking compound or lightly glue with some weak stuff.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:37 PM   #12

oh, no i didnt i just screwed it back in tightly it "should" be alright, if not i know how to fix it again
jhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:37 AM   #13

Sorry,,,CA means Cyanoacrylate,,,or most people call it "crazy glue",,,or super glue,,,,

thread locker works,,,but CA is better on plastics..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:10 AM   #14

I wouldn't use superglue, just in case I ever needed to undo it again, it would put more stress on the circuit board and maybe crack it.

But as the screw is in for now, leave it there.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 3:04 PM   #15

I took mine apart and found the same problem! Don't know if it fixed it yet 'cause I've got to find my AC power supply.

"Some notes on taking apart the camera.

1. take out your battery and flash card.

2. Have a high quality screw driver of the right size. If you've got a choice, get one with a large grip since the screws are tight.

3. If a screw is stuck, put your screw driver in the screw and gently tap the back of the screw driver with a spoon or something (not to heavy).

4. You may be able to fix this with only the top cover removed. I had the whole thing apart and re-assembled before I figured that out. Remove the silver screws around thetop cover. Keep track of your screw sizes, they are different. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" I put them on a piece of printer paper and labeled the location of each screw. They are very tight, so take your time.

6. Remove the top cover by gently prying with a thin, flat object (I used a table knife). You may have to open the flash once you've loosened the top to allow the cover to come all the way off. At this point, you can look in the back of the camera near the power button and see if the offending screw is present.It should be under the green ribbon connector that runs fromunder the power button. If you don't see it, check for the screw hole at the top of the circuit board. If it is empty, you've got a loose screw in there somewhere.

7. I was able to shake the screw loose and let it fall on the table. As I said, You may be able to replace it without removing the back cover. (I didn't think about it at the time). I had to remove the black screw securing the power button assembly to the frame in order get to enough slack in the green ribbon.Lift the power button gently(it won't come all the way loose, then push aside the green ribbon so that you can put the screw back where it belongs.

8. If you do in fact have to remove the back cover to get enough slack in the ribbon, remove all the silver screws around the rest of the camera. You also have to remove the little black screw in the view finder adjustment knob, then gently pull the knob out so that the view finder cover can come off with the back plate.

9. Use your flat prying toolto gently pry the back cover loose (I nicked mine a lot getting it off). On the left end, open the flap that covers your AC, video connectors etc... The video connector protrudes thru the cover, so you'll have to pry that end out far enough to clear it.

10. Watch out for the spring and the little black adjustment wheel in the view finder.

11. Go back to step 7.

12. Installation is the reverse.

13.If you were able to fix without removing the back cover, please post to help out the next guy.

Good luck, Mike
zmlw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 6:34 PM   #16

Caution!

Cyanoacrylate gives off vapors when drying that will fog up plastics that are nearby.

Any plastic lens or viewfinderscould be attacked and fog up.

I once used CA to temporarily repair my eyeglasses, and the fumes from the CA made my eyes water so bad I had to remove it.
Chaspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 9:07 PM   #17

Chaspa,,,ive worked with CA for years,,,making gas powered model boats up to 6 feet long,,use it all the time..

You will not have a problem with it if you only put a little on the threads with a toothpick,,,it will be captured in the threads,,,no fuming will result that will harm anything,,,but i`ve always used a small fan when working with it anyway,,too much inhaled can not be good for you,,,,

Lastly,,the best way to use super-glue is to apply it,,,and then spray it with a product known as kicker,,it`s an excelerator,,,instantly sets the CA,,,,,so it can not run and cause problems on ajacent surfaces,,,gel CA is of course what i recommend most,,,,

Since there seems to be a lot of these cams showing this problem it can`t all be from vibration loosening them,,,,,,,ordinary use must be flexing the board to cause it too loosen,,so it`s wise to lock it with something,,,modelers cement may work too..

If you have been into electronics as long as me,,,you will see a lot of cementing of the head of the screw to the board by the manufacturer,,,on automotive computers it`s very common,,,but a little on the threads only will lock it good,,,and since it`s a plastic-CA-metal bond,,,it will still come aprt fairly easy..

This is at least #3 we`ve seen that has had this screw loose if anyone is interested in knowing,,keep your heads up at other forums,,you could help someone big time,,,

Brian

Old Aug 5, 2004, 9:32 PM   #18
Administrator

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
This is at least #3 we`ve seen that has had this screw loose if anyone is interested in knowing,,keep your heads up at other forums,,you could help someone big time,,,

I second that! I passed on the link to this thread to users in another forum with DX4800 failures. One of them just reported fixing the same problem -- using the photos posted by jhoo, and the instructions posted by zmlw3as a guide.

He reported that he removed the top ofhis DC4800 and loosened the back, and after jiggling it for a few seconds the screwfell out. He was then able to hold the ribbon aside and re-insert the screw. Camera Fixed!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 2:00 AM   #19

Again JimC thanks for sending along the info to the other guy,,,,some people wouldn`t have spent the time,,,,nice to see nice people all helping each other along it`s what these forums should be all about,,,helping and sharing stories,pics,advise...

I usually go to 2 forums,,,,,try to help as much as possible when i can,,been into electronics since i was about 10,,,,,now computers and DC`s i guess are my main hobbies...

You learn a lot at these forums if you keep an open mind,,ask nicely,,and listen,,,which makes sense,,that`s what we come here for in the first place...

If me and Paul got commission on sales from kodak i`d have the new 7590 on order today,,,,just by telling it like it is,,and helping people trying to make an expensive decision..

Brian

Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:26 AM   #20

Thankyou jhoo. My DC4800 had the same problem and I found your notes on how to fix it and I found the same screw had come loose and was resting in the same place as your photo shows. You did a great job finding the screw in the first place as I had already dismantled mine once and missed the loose screw.

Again Thankyou

Ross
gratetful is offline   Reply With Quote