Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 30, 2004, 7:32 PM   #1

hello everyone!

1:i want to buy a big zoom camera.

2:i am justa amateur in photography

3:wont be making very large prints

4:mainly going to be shooting in low light situations/indoors (but still want "megazoom" coz its jut sooo coool :|)

5:will be mainly taking hand help shot (90% of times)

6:can spend up to 600$

7:choices are dx6490,c770,canon s1 is,kyocera m4104,z2

i am leaning toward the 6490 aoz i heard it focuses well in low light condition...and i just fell in love with its looks

please help me,i've been lookin through reviews for a month now,but i want real user views.

i would really appreciate it if some one could help me out
pabennny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:18 PM   #2

pleeeez some one...answer,,,
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:17 PM   #3

Well,,what can i tell you,,message me,,and i`ll answer if i can,,Paul can likely help you also,,tell us what you need to know,,we both have a DX6490,,,he`s in the U.K. ,,i`m in Canada...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:23 PM   #4
Administrator

What kind of low light photos are you going to be taking? Do you plan on using the flash, and will you be keeping within the stated flash range? Will you be using a tripod (you said 90% hand held)?

Low Light photos without a flash or tripod, and non-DSLR digital cameras, are not a good mix.

To begin with, shutter speeds will most likely be WAY too slow to prevent blur from camera shake -- even at full wide angle.

As a general rule of thumb, you'll want to use a shutter speed of 1/focal length or faster to prevent blur from camera shake. So, if taking a photo at 38mm equivalent focal length (full wide angle on the Kodak), you'll want a shutter speed of 1/38 second or faster.

If taking a photo at full zoom (380mm equivalent), you'll want a shutter speed of 1/380 second or faster. This will be impossible to achieve, in typical indoor lighting - even if you increase ISO speed to 400 (which would produce very noisy images).

Sure, if you have very steady hands, you can get away with slower shutter speeds. However, most lighting is not as good as you think. What is bright to the human eye, is not to the camera's lens.

In addition to needing faster shutter speeds (to prevent blur) at longer focal lengths, the non-DSLR "super zoom" models use an EVF (Electronic Viewfinder). Some of these don't "gain up" very well in low light, making them virtually useless in some lighting conditions. I don't know how the Kodak stacks up, but I'd definitely "test drive" it ina store to find out before spending your money.

I'd let users know what kind of low light photos you are talking about (hopefully, you mean either with flash or a tripod), giving as much detail as possible. You'll probably get more useful responses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 3:27 AM   #5

hello,thanks for the info.

i would be takin pics in party's adn events as such.

i wont be using a tripod but i will be uasing the flash,maybe even an external flash.and i dont think ill be farther than a max of 20 feet from the subject to be shot.

hope this helps ....

thanx again!!