Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:14 PM   #1

Hi everyone, Sue here of "garyandsue." This is my first post. My hubby, Gary and I recently bought the Kodak 6490 (with the dock) and we really like it, with some reservations. Gary is the more camera savvy of the two of and I am the more 'puter savvy. So far, I am JUST NOT HAPPY with the EasyShare software.

I have WinME currently installed (mostly because WinXP would not recognize our old camera's memory card, so I had to uninstall XP and go back to ME) Please no comments about ME, I actually have had very minimal problems before this EasyShare fiasco.:? I installed the ES software and I swear it took over my computer. I tried various combinations of installations, but the only way the ES software would unload my pictures was if IT was in control! It HAD to LOAD at startup and sit in the tray, it HAD to be the default program to open every jpg on my computer. When I clicked on a jpg and the ES program opened, it would freeze my computer, I had to ctrl-alt-del to shut it down manually. Probably the most frustrating thing is that my computer would not shut down, it would just go to a blinking cursor and sit there! We had to resort to just holding down the power button until it shut down and then deal with "Scan Disk" every time we started up the computer!

I have an onboard card reader that I used previously with my CF memory card from my HP camera. There are like five different slots available, a 5-in-1 type arrangement. I cannot get the card reader to work with my Kodak's memory card! I have tried every arrangement of software installations, to no avail. The reader can see the card and the pictures, but refused to bring up a "preview" or "view by thumbnails," just red x's.

FYI, I have an AMD Athlon 2400+, 512 mb DDRAM, about sixty gigs of HD space free.

Any advice on getting my camera to work would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sue (of garyand sue) :-)
garyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:43 PM   #2

Hi garyandsue.

have had similar problems in the past. its a pig of a program.suggest you delete easyshare software thru add/remove program in Me ,you also may have to use the clear utility available for download from kodak website. if you email kodak support i have found them to be of great assistance.

once you have deleted easyshare from your computer relaod kodak software but use custom facility and just load the camera connection software and the cardreader should work. I use PSP8 with no problems.

hope i have been of some assistance

regards

brid653
brid653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 12:24 AM   #3

brid,

By uninstalling and re-installing different components of the EasyShare software, I can NOW transfer pictures via "My Computer." :?But, I still can't get my card reader to work with this camera (it still works with my CF card from my old HP camera.) My computer will now shut downproperly.

I do wonder, however, how do I give Grandma a copy of my pics on her computer without installing the ES software? While I LOVE my new camera, I'm thinking about returning it, just because of the mess the software caused on my computer!

Thanks for replying,

Sue
garyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 4:12 PM   #4

I have been trying to get my easyshare software to work for some time. Everytime I start up my computer it crashes. I bought a 5100 All in One printer and am happy with it but cannot use the easyShare software with it.

[suP]I have: [/suP]

-uninstalled then reinstalled the software. 1/9/2007

-used the clear software function before installing.

... and it still will not work.

I would like to use the software if anyone has any tips

I am running Windows XP Professional.

Thanks!

kipdole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 6:00 PM   #5

I do not use the easysharer soft ware at all. I've owned a DX6490 for several years now and after the first try I unloaded the easy sharer software and have never looked back. You should be able (with out easysharer) to connect your card reader and load the card. Then open the card up in windows fax and picture viewer and the copy and paste the photos to you hard drive. The card reader should show up as a seperate drive on the computer.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:19 AM   #6

Sue, (garyandsue), so-called 'Easyshare' has done a terrible disservice by driving you back to Windows ME from XP, and I'm sure that can't be worth it. XP with Service Pack 2 is the best Windows ever, performing well on modest machines by current standards, and quite stable at last.Losing that is an awful price to pay.

USB card readers are normally simple plug & play with no additional software at all under XP. I have lots of little SD-only card readers that cost me nearly nothing,from a 'pound shop'. ukpound=$2. Plug it in, and a window opens offering you the files. If yours doesn't work under XP, I suggest you try a different, newcard reader. My local camera shop also has very good ones, very cheap.

Easyshare (or any other) software is unnecessary with SD (or other) cards & XP, and detracts horribly from a range of very good cameras. It's an attempt to lock you in to Kodak, and an unwarranted distraction from photography. I took one look at it and rubbed it out straight away. The cameras should stand on their own merits. If there's a good image sitting there in the machine, why shouldn't you be able to get straight at it, with a simple file copy?

Keep it simple! Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7

Sue-

BigDwag and Alan have given you good advice. The Kodak EasyShare software has a well known record for causing problems with computers. I agree with the advice alreadgiven: take off the EasyShare software! Then you can get back to the much superior Windows XP.

If you need photo editing software download the free Picasa 2.0 form www.google.com.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:54 PM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Sue-

Then you can get back to the much superior Windows XP.

Sarah Joyce
The stated reason she's using Me is for her HP camera. Nothing to do with Easyshare or the 6490.

I did use a flavor Easyshare on an Me computer although I don't remember if I loaded it from the disk supplied with my DC5000, the Kodak CF card or the Kodak card CF card reader. Yes, it did put a component in the system tray at start up and it did want to be the program to transfer picture pictures from the CF card but it never prevented me from using IrfanView to view/edit my pics.

When I converted that computer to XP I did not bother to load any version of EasyShare since XP recognized the card reader without additional drivers and Irfanview handles my editing. EasyShare just didn't add any functionality that I needed although it never created any problems.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:00 AM   #9
Administrator

You guys do realize that Sue posted that in 2004, right?

Chances are, she's upgraded from Windows Me by now. ;-)

Although, you never know. My younger brother has a PC with Windows Me on it. I did set it up in a dual boot for him with SimplyMEPIS (a Linux distribution). But, he still uses Windows for some things, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:08 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Sue posted that in 2004, right?
Ah! Well spotted, thanks, Jim. The first 2008 poster must have got his "recent" the wring way up. I can't complain, I've done it myself before now.

However, letting off steam about all the trouble folk have had with Easyshare in general will have been therapeutic.

Must remember to wear the correct pair of reading glasses in future, though!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote