Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:35 AM   #1

Hello everyone
I am having trouble with my Kodak DX4300 digital camera which I have used without problem for about 2 years. All of a sudden, it will not transfer the photos from the camera to my PC. I am having ongoing tech support with someone from Kodak but dont know where that person is and how knowledgeable he is as I receive one email a day from him, sometimes with a seemingly pertinent question, other times with what seems to bea silly question or a repeat question of one he has already asked a week or two ago (we have been conversing once a day for about 3 weeks now).
Anyway, when I plug in the camera (I do not have a docking station, I always connect directly to my computer), I get a Drive H on my computer. When I disconnect the camera, that Drive H disappears. However, if I click on that Drive H, it says : "The disk in Drive H is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" Of course, that is not right.
Over the past few weeks, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the kodak software on a number of occasions, including first disabling my Norton anti virus. Still no joy.
In my device manager, when the camera is connected, it shows up correctly as an imaging device without any crosses or question marks through it.
If I try to update the driver, it tells me I have the best driver available.
I even thought maybe it had something to do with pop up thingys I have running, spyware stuff, so I disabled everything I could think of. Still no luck.
If necessary, I could forward all of the correspondence I have had with Kodak.
Does anyone out there have any other ideas for me to try? It is a real inconvenience for me not to be able to use the camera properly as normally I am click, click, clicking away like a rabid photographer at anything that takes my fancy !!

Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:51 PM   #2

Just a guess here since I don't have that particular Kodak camera (but I'm having trouble with my 6490 myself,) what software have you installed recently? What other changes have you made on your system (since the transfers stopped working?) Just for the heck of it, I'd do a spyware check, those things wreak havoc on your computer!

Mostly, I'd be thinking about ANY changes I made to my 'puter recently. Do you have a friend that might let you try your camera on his computer?

Good luck,

sue (of garyandsue)
garyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:42 AM   #3

Hi all -
Now, I have fathomed something out but cant explain why. I tried using a different USB port (which I had done previously) and no change. Then I completely uninstalled the kodak software again and then just plugged the camera in (via its usual USB port) and hey presto the Windows box comes up asking what programme do I want to use to view the pictures. Unfortunately, it didnt list many, not even Irfanview, so I had to choose the Windows Camera and Scanner Wizard. It all worked okay and I could download the photos to wherever I wanted. However,I could only view them in the Windows Picture Viewer (or whatever it is called).I did notice though that when the camera did connect this way, an H drive did not appear in Windows Explorer; the camera just showed as DX 4330 digital camera as the last entry under My Computer just above where it says My Network Places (hope you understand that vague description).
Then I downloaded and installed the kodak software again and it was back to the old problem. No transfer, H drive appears etc etc.
Now I hope you can work that out for me, cos I sure cant !!!
Thanks everyone for your input, look forward to hearing from you.
Sandy :?
Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:14 AM   #4
Administrator

Sandy:

Have you tried formatting the memory card in the camera?

It sounds like you have a corrupted card (which is why the operating system is telling you it needs to be formatted). Usually, only the FAT (File Allocation Table) is damaged, not the images. However, if the operating system sees the corruption (as when viewing the memory card as a removable drive letter), then you will get the error you are seeing.

This is a common problem. Personally, I ALWAYS format memory cards, with the camera,after EVERY use -- NO EXCEPTIONS. It's just as fast as deleting the files, and insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT.

BTW, if you are using Win 'XP, make sure you use FAT (which is actually FAT16) if you must format via the operating system, versus the using camera (I'd strongly suggest using the menu system in the camera to format it). This is because newer operating systems (like Win 'XP) are using a 32-bit FAT by default, which is incompatible with most digicams (another reason you want to use the camera to format your memory cards, versus the PC's operating system whenever possible).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:25 AM   #5

Thankyou for your response Jim. I have just reformatted the memory card via the camera but it doesnt seem to have made any difference. Its very strange I think and its given me a headache trying to think about it all day!! Thanks for your advice. Sandy
Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:38 AM   #6
Administrator

Oh well....

I'd suggest trying the camera (with the same USB cable) on a different PC, and see if the symptoms still appear.

If the problem goes away, you'll know that the problem is not in the camera or cable. Then I'd try ruling out one component at a time (USB Port, USB Cable). You may also want to remove any other USB devices, in case they are interferring. You may also want to check for any type of USB monitoring software. For example: I've seen HP's printer status software interfere with other USB devices before.

If the problem does not go away on another PC, then you'll know that the problem is either with the camera or usb cable. Then, you can try a different cable to rule that out, before sending the camera in for service. Personally, I'd just by a card reader to transfer the photos, before I'd pay to service the camera. You can probably find a decent one for around $20.00

BTW, make sure you are running a fully patched operating system if you have Win 'XP. From what I understand, Win 'XP's USB supportis unreliable unless you havethe Service Packs installed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 7:54 AM   #7

Okay ........ I havent solved that particular problem but I have resolved my question of getting photos from my camera to my computer. Following on from my last email, I have uninstalled the kodak software and downloaded and installed a trial version of ACDSee and my photos transfer perfectly!! Considering ACDSee will cost me $80USD to buy at the end of the 30 day trial, I would still like to get the kodak stuff going again, if possible, as I do have other programmes that I can enhance and do all sorts of things to photos with because the kodak is pretty basic. It IS free though. Maybe next week (during business hours) I canoutline all this to the kodak techie and he can explain what has happened, but somehow I doubt it. Anyway folks, all's well that ends well - at the moment at least. Thank you all for your help and advice. If anyone has any particular thoughts on why this has happened, I'd love to hear them. Bye for now, Sandy