Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 6, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1

OK guys here what we have here, I am shooting comp. cheerleaders on stage... I use a N90s with various lens and all do very well. However i like digi because I can shoot my brains outs....

I currently have the following

N90s film lots of lenses

6490 with 512 card

Canon AE-1 Program with MA for action film and lots of lenses

I loose my rear end all the time with the 6490 because its so dang slow.. I nearly chunk ed it over the building this 4th because in max res. and multi shot its write time took for freaking ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (can you tell i am upset?)

I am considering going to the e-10 by olympus because it also does RAW........

I am using a sd 512 card in it? is that to much? will it write faster with smaller mem?

Also the stupid camera hunts all the time for focus! I could not get the thing to stay still while shooting fireworks... by the time the focus got done dancing the fireworks had left!!!!! I am so frustraded

1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:09 PM   #2

I doubt anyone at a kodak forum has an E-10....

Firework shots are easy,,,,you have to set the DC to Landscape mode......then it won`t hunt...

You really can`t expect a DC at this price to download like a DSLR can you,,,,,,it`s made to be a great 10X DC ,,,take great shots,colorfull,sharp,,,,but it`s no DSLR,,,and you cannot expect it to live up to one for 300 or so U.S.

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:56 AM   #3

1texan wrote:
Quote:
I am considering going to the e-10 by olympus because it also does RAW........

If you want speed from a digital camera, you won't be using RAW, as it takes longer to write to the card.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:34 AM   #4

RAw for regular photos and producing stock photos... manual focus so no more hunting. I really dislike the fact that the 6490 has no manual focus.

I understand that raw write is long but it is just another thing I am certain we all wish the 6490 did in addition to a manual focus.

The 6490 is a great camera but really could use some new fimr ware to address those issues.......

Old Jul 7, 2004, 5:53 PM   #5

Not all of us do,,most actually do not,,,

The DX6490 works excellent as advertised,,,,,i don`t need or want RAW ,,,if you do sell the P&S and buy a DSLR,,,as for manual focus,,,,,it is barely usable on a digital camera,,,check Steves review od the S1...

Still cannot understand people complaining about manual focus not on the DX6490,,,right after they bought it anyway,,,,you knew it didn`t have it,,,so why did you buy it anyway..

Look i`m not trying to make you upset,,,but we continually here complaints on what the DC does not have,,,,when it was advertised on the box to what it does have,,,

You here this in all the forums for minolta,fuji,canon,etc,,,,sell the DC if it does not do what you want,,,and buy a DSLR,,,if you can`t afford one then live with what you get for the 300 bucks you paid....

Brian

Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:19 PM   #6

brianhare wrote:
(much snipped)
Quote:
Still cannot understand people complaining about manual focus not on the DX6490,,,right after they bought it anyway,,,,you knew it didn`t have it,,,so why did you buy it anyway..
Brian, my pocket camera is a Minolta G500. Like the DX6490, it lacks manual focus. Unlike the DX6490, it offers many options that make up for that lack.

For one, it has persistent focus lock. Once I've got the camera focused where I want it, it stays focused for as many shots as I choose to take, until I defeat the focus lock.

It also allows me to choose preset focus at 1, 2, or 4 meters. Given the difficulty of using manual focus without the sort of focusing aid found only on SLRs and rangefinders, I actually prefer these options to manual focus.

So it's true that I knew when I bought the DX6490 that it did not have manual focus. But I was still in shock when I discovered how inflexible and limited its focus options are. (For those who may have come in late, there are exactly two focus options: auto or infinity. Period. End of story.)

But I'm keeping mine! It still has the best combination of zoom and low-light performance I've found in any digital non-SLR. It's certainly a pretty good camera. But it's frustratingly close to being a great camera, if not for sloppy, price-point-driven engineering. (Just how much do you suppose the retail price would have been increased, if the camera had persistent focus lock?)

I love the camera at times, despise it at other times, and always remind myself that if expect DSLR performance, I'm going to have to pay a DSLR price!

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 6:08 AM   #7

Focus lock,,,yes,,,i can see that,,,manual focus,,,with this DC,,,,don`t care to have it,,,and there is no way kodak would even considerit in a firmare upgrade...

Brian
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:43 AM   #8

Robb wrote:
Quote:
brianhare wrote:
(much snipped)
Quote:
Brian, my pocket camera is a Minolta G500. Like the DX6490, it lacks manual focus. Unlike the DX6490, it offers many options that make up for that lack.

For one, it has persistent focus lock. Once I've got the camera focused where I want it, it stays focused for as many shots as I choose to take, until I defeat the focus lock.

It also allows me to choose preset focus at 1, 2, or 4 meters. Given the difficulty of using manual focus without the sort of focusing aid found only on SLRs and rangefinders, I actually prefer these options to manual focus.

So it's true that I knew when I bought the DX6490 that it did not have manual focus. But I was still in shock when I discovered how inflexible and limited its focus options are. (For those who may have come in late, there are exactly two focus options: auto or infinity. Period. End of story.)

But I'm keeping mine! It still has the best combination of zoom and low-light performance I've found in any digital non-SLR. It's certainly a pretty good camera. But it's frustratingly close to being a great camera, if not for sloppy, price-point-driven engineering. (Just how much do you suppose the retail price would have been increased, if the camera had persistent focus lock?)

I love the camera at times, despise it at other times, and always remind myself that if expect DSLR performance, I'm going to have to pay a DSLR price!

Robb good post, My feelings exactly. I use the 6490 with incred results in BW mode taking great shots profiles etc....I get my best comments on those and lots of cheer parents buy them from me. MY action shots come from the n90s and I get great reviews and purchases from it. The zoom function on the 6490 rocks! However It needs to be on a huge/heavy tripod in order to take advantage of the zoom and still have the pics come out crystal clear. It looks kinda funny setting on a huge bipod......

Low light photos it takes great.

Small little improvements would make this camera fly.

I couild use the manual focus for action shots.. in a crowded or busy stage or cheer camp the AF wants to hunt and seek everything but the subject and then you cant get it to lock.......

Mosst people could take much better photos if they took the time to focus. Its so beetin easy to manual focus......

I will say this the BW photos rock and it will always be around my neck when those personal up close profile shots are needed.