Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:01 PM   #1

Please forgive me if this has already been covered, however I haven't been able to find my 'specific' situation described. I currently use a SanDisc 256 SD card with my 6490, and have noticed considerable 'processing' time after taking a long exposure shot. The longer the the exposure, the longer the 'processing' time. I have wondered if this could be helped with a "faster" card, I see where some have stated that a faster card will help a little in burst mode, and if the same were true with long exposures?

Reason I ask is that I am going to be buying a 'back-up' 256 card and spare battery soon, and I have seen a Panasonic 256 competitively priced, or should I just get the most economical card I can find?

Thank you for any advice you all may provide, and again forgive me if this topic has already been beat to death. Just direct me to the previous posts, and I'll catch up!:-)

DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 1:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Dave:

I don't own your Kodak, but saw your post.

Chances are, the increased time you are seeing on long exposures is due to noise reduction.

Most new model Digicams take two photos, once you reach a certain shutter speed or slower. One Photo is designed to simulate a photo with the lens cap on (using the same exposure settings as the real photo). The Other Photo is the photo of your subject.

Then internally, the camera does what is known as "dark frame subtraction".

Basically, when you take a long exposure with a small sensor digital camera (non-DSLR), you have LOTS of hot pixels. Since the "black frame" photo was taken at the same exposure settings (shutter speed, etc.) as the photo of your actual subject; it's then fairly easy for the camera to "subtract" thehot pixels from the final image that you see. This won't help random noise, but it will help remove pixels that are visible in the same placeson longer exposures.

This extra processing for noise reduction is what takes more time.

My latest camera (a little Konica KD-510z), the noise reduction is automatically enabled on exposures 1/2 second or longer. I don't know how your Kodak's noise reduction works, but it probably kicks in at around 1 second or longer exposures (typical for most digicams).

As far as media, I would suggest going with Panasonic. Their larger (256mb and512mb) Secure Digital Cards are rated at 10mb/second. Simpletech SD (perhaps using Panasonic components) in larger sizes is rated the same.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:55 AM   #3

With the DX6490 it doesn't makea huge amount ofdifference if you use a faster card.

I've got a standard Viking card and a SanDisk Ultra II and the only noticable difference is the Sandisk is a little faster processing after a burst and when I delete the lot.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 8:47 AM   #4

Hey JimC,

Thank-you for the response. I am new to photography and still figuring things out. I wasn't aware of the "dark frame subtraction" that DC's do. That makes sense that it would take a little time. I figured there could only be two things that would be taking the time I described; 1)camera processing the image, or 2) writing it to the memory card. I think you helped me rule #2. Thanks again.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 8:56 AM   #5

Thanks to you too Cold Snail, I think I'll stick to my inclination to get the Panasonic card I have found. At the very least I will not fall for the hype of the other "high speed" cards with their HIGH SPEED PRICE:-). Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:27 AM   #6

In addition to the other posted replies I can confirm that I contacted Kodak a few weeks ago to ask this very question, and it was confirmed that high speed cards make only a few milliseconds' worth of difference, so not worth the extra cost.

Ade

ade-67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:20 AM   #7

Thanks for the confirmation Ade, no sense payin' so much for nothing...

Dave...
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:53 PM   #8

I have a Kodak DX6490 Digital Camera and am using a Lexar 256 meg SD card. I see that there is a Lexar 32X SD card available in 256 meg. I understand that the card should be able to write data to itself at 32X speed, however does anyone know if this card will net faster picture taking or will I be limited by the transfer rate capabilities of the camera itself.

I really appreciate any assistance you can provide,

Thank you,

[email protected]
russmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:25 PM   #9

If you look above you will notice your question was answered.

The Kodak does not get much benefit from faster SD cards. It will help you when downloading from the card to your machine. It will only show a lot of improvement if you use an external reader (USB 2.0 or Firewire).

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote