Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 14, 2004, 8:02 PM   #1

Hey all, my camera finally arrived! yay! But, after taking a few test shots inside and outdoors, I noticed that the overall color tends to the blue-grey... Green is hit hard and everything looks a little washed out.

I tried it in PASM mode, changing AWB and ISO (nothing too drastic, I'm just learning), as well as changing the color mode to saturated, but it didn't make a difference... argh.Shades green really look more like faded turquiose than the vivid color I see with my own eyes.

Has anyone else noticed this with theirs, or could this camera be malfunctioning?

Any thoughts? I'm really frustrated as I liked everything about this camera, especially the color!

Thanks,

Arashi
Arashi_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 8:11 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you viewing the photos on your monitor, or just looking at the cameras's LCD display?

BTW, color accuracy is normally a function of White Balance. In most conditions Auto White Balance works fine. However, in complex lighting, you must often set it to one of the preset value that matches up to the lighting you are taking the photo in.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 3:53 AM   #3

Could you post an example for us to see.

Cheers, Paul.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:30 AM   #4

Yes, I can do that this evening...

I played around a little more with the AWB settings, but I get the same type of results. The daylight setting looks a little better, but all the colors (especially green) have a blue-grey tint.

I also tried indoors/outdoors, lights on/off, sunny/cloudy (yesterday was bright and sunny and this morning it's cloudy) just to see if it was the light, but nope.

I will post some examples later today...

ttfn

Arashi
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:00 AM   #5
Administrator

You may also want to see if there is a way to reset the camera to factory defaults for all settings. I don't own your camera, but many models have a way to do this.

Newer Kodak's are known for having decent auto white balance in most lighting conditions. They do have colors that are more saturated than most competitors (some people like this, some people don't). But, I haven't noticed any reports of major color accuracy problems (like yours).

Do try and post some examples if you have time. Then, we'll see what you are talking about. It's possible you got a defective camera, but it's more likely that something is set wrong.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:00 PM   #6

Sorry to hear this about your new camera! I'll poke around the 'net to see if I can dig something up for you!

Hope it all goes well!

EDIT: Now, I checked out a site that reviewed this camera, it stated that it did leave a blue tone, so I guess it's not just you. I'll keep looking!
blackcat1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 3:44 PM   #7

Arashi,,i have the DX6490 ,,,,and all the colors are great,,,,depends on lighting though,,as Paul has pointed out let us see some pics please,,,and give us some detailed info please on where,time of day,settings,,,if flash was used etc,,,so we can give you a better answer,,,,may be a defective DC,,,but doughtfull..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 5:50 PM   #8

Ok, here are a few pics to show what I am talking about... All pics were taken in the afternoon on a partly sunny day, with the interior lights on.

The yellow is brighter, the mauve is more purple and thegreen is deeperas I see it in real life. It seems all the colors are faded, even in saturated mode, and there is a bluish tint to everything. The background is my fridge that in reality more yellow than what you see.

1. Full auto mode, no flash

2. Full auto mode, flash

3. PASM, factory defaults, no flash

4. PASM, AWB = daylight, no flash

5. PASM, AWB = daylight, flash

And I've noticed something else beyond the color issue.... the focus takes FOREVER, and half the time it doesn't produce a sharp image! Sooo frustrating!

P.S. How do I attach more than one image at a time?

Thanks!
Arashi

Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:13 PM   #9

Arashi,,,,you said you have the lights on in the house,,,,you need to set the white balance to correct for this,,,,either tungsten or flouresent,,,,,,check your manual,,,,,it`ll tell you how to set it,,,,,,and for which type lighting to set it too......

How are your pictures outside,,in the sun on auto white balance,,,,first set your DC to neutral on the color options,,,then see what the image looks like,,,compare the color from something taken in your backyard to the image on the screen,,,and with a print if possible,,,and let us know,,,it may just be the indoor lighting throwing you off...

it may also be your monitor,,,so a print is the best way to check color problems,,,too actually determine what is at fault....

Any way try 2 pics indoors with the white balance in auto,,,then the right option for the available light,,,,and please let us know what you have found...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote