Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:01 PM   #1
mgu

I just got a refurbed Kodak 6490 (prolly my 1st mistake and first ever electronics refurb purchase) about 7 days ago. This is my 1st digital camera.

Took it to a wedding, was working fine... was fiddling with the lcd/evf switch when the thing just turned off with the lens all the way out. I assumed the battery was dead, so I have charged it with the dock and the camera still does not turn on.

To say the least, this pissed me off and alsomakes me nervous. I still have the oem warranty but still, after 2 days usage it dies? Any thoughts?

:?
mgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:25 PM   #2

The only time I've seen the 6490 just shut down is when the lens is blocked. So you might want to make sure nothing is causing the lens to grind.

After that I would probably try the following:

1- Remove the SD Card
2- Try and power it up without the battery just using the power cable from the cradle unit (it plugs directly into the camera also).
3- Remove the battery and let the camera sit for a full 24 hrs. Then try it again.
4- Return it.

Even if you have to return it, I have not heard of many complaints on failures in the 6490 (even on refurbs). Remember 99.9% Reliabiliy still means 1 in a 1000 gets a bad one..
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:41 AM   #3

The only problem i`ve seen on the DX6490 was dust on the sensor,,and it happened to me,,,,must have been a loose piece of manufacturing metal in there from new,,i used a can of compressed air and blew in all the doors and arround the lense and now i can just see it in the rear element just ahead of the aperature blades,,i`ll send it away after my vacation,,,this DC seems to have few problems,,,i`ve heard of a pile of people buying these refurbs and no one has had a problem,,,most refurbs are just sent back to kodak due to packaging or returns from someone not liking it and things like that,,,

I`d send it back,,,from what i`ve heard they are extremely polite and fast on their service,,,i had to get a lense cap and they sent it by same day air .....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:52 PM   #4
mgu

Well, I do hope everything goes ok. It does put a damper on the new toy 'excitement'.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:41 PM   #5

Yes i can imagine,,makes you feel let down,,i hate when something breaks down,,,being without a DC to me now would be like torture,,i use it so much the idea of not having it would really be a shock to the system.....let us know how you make out,,,i know kodak has excellent service though..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 4:09 PM   #6
mgu

So after 1 month, or should I say the 2nd month I had this camera, I got it back from being repaired under warranty. There are some nice new scratches, the lens cap is broken and they did not include the ac cord. Who knows if it works, the battery is dead.

I am NOT a happy camper.

:-?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:29 PM   #7

Hello mgu;

I think it's time for the "flies with honey approach".Give Kodak a call. (Follow it up with an e-mail.) I had some small software problems and they worked very hard to make sure that things were resolved. Tell them what you have told us - particularly how long you have been without your camera. Press for an immediate resolution. (and follow it up tomorrow... and the next day...)Save your correspondences (though they will generally append each message so that whichever tech you deal with sees the whole issue)

Please let us know how you make out. I have generally found Kodak to be a responsible dealer, though there is always the possibility they could let a customer drop through the cracks.

Hoping things work out for you,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote