Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:13 PM   #1

I just received my Kodak 4530 and need a lot more information on how to do close-upswith it. The book doesn't go into much detail about it, or maybe I just don't know what I am doing.Is there ahints page here or can I get help here? I am REALLY NEW TO DIGITAL, actually never did much of the other either, so be kind, like your talking to a 2 year old please. Thank you.

PS I also have the 2 accessory lenses +7 & +10 and the Adapter coming some time today too.

Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:06 PM   #2

While I have a different EasyShare, they are all about the same: very simple to use.

Turn the mode dial to the icon that looks like a flower or tulip, frame your shot, get a focus light, and click.My camera has a 'document' setting but it seems no more than near mode with the flash turned off.

Remember, with digital you will have an instant result and can immediately try again at no cost. Experiments are free! (Iassume you have rechargeable batteriesas well as a memory card.)

John
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:34 AM   #3

Sheila ,,John is right,,,turn the mode dial to ,macro (looks like a flower),,,then you can get as close as just under 3 inches away from the lense front to the subject,,,,

The closer you can get the more detail you will have,,i use the LCD too when doing close-ups it makes it so you don`t have to get right down there when doing flowers,,,you can still see the image,,,center it,,,and see if the light goes green....

I`ve taken some just bending over at the waist and holding it out in front of me so i could just tell if the light was green,,,then snapping a pic,,saves dirty knees...

Here`s one of a Crocus i got,,,just bending over,,holding the camera about 3 inches away,,and snapping the shutter....take lots,,,,get really close,,then take another moved back just a little,,you`ll get the feel for what you like the best...

Brian
Attached Images

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 5:14 AM   #4

John, Thank you for the quick reply, I will try that. Just center and click, got it. No I only have the batteries they gave me with the camera and with the Printer Dock 4000. The rechargeable ones are in it now. I knew right away I would have to get some more of them. I want to have at least 2-3 of them. Ineed the card too, I only have the internal one that is in the camera. Should I mix up the sizes I get or just do the big one? I thought maybe both, a smaller one and the real big one. 512? and maybe 128. Let me know what you think of the cards. Last, should they ONLY be Kodak? I always use what they say to use, but I thought I would ask just in case it makes no difference.

Brian, What can I say, that picture takes your breath away!!It isGORGEOUS! I am seriously impressed. I could only pray that I may learn half enough to get pictures like that. Wish meluck!

I think the only problem I had was, that when I did the "push the button and hold down thing" and held it for focus the light stayed red? not sure, will try again and let you know.

Thank you both for the posts, this is great, I like this. answers, and breathtaking pictures to punch up your drive to hang in there and fightthe good fightfor the best in pictures.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:31 PM   #5

Any SD or MMC card should work fine in your camera. Ihad three 2 year old cards (1 SD and 2 MMC) when my 7440 arrived and all worked well - SD is probably a better choice becuase larger capacities are available and it is better developed.

More memory seemed a good idea so I got a SimpleTech ProX 256 SD which is rated at very high speed. Kodak products do not utilized that speed at all well and in my own view, the performance increment is not worth the price increment.

As to capacity, that will depend on intended use. In some uses it is satisfactory to drop the resolution (pixel count in this case) well below maximum, you'll only know by experimenting. Give us an idea and maybe we can offer some suggestions. Do you have any of the big electronics stores nearby?

In any case, you probably won't go wrong to start with any cheap 128Mb card so long as there is a free exchange if it does not work for you. When you know more, spend more.

John

jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:46 AM   #6

Hi Brian, I don't know if you noticed the post I sent anddoubled up on, but I had to make sure you read it. See here below. Your picture is so beautiful that I just had to tellyouhow much I love it. You have posted a true quality professional print.

Brian, What can I say, that picture takes your breath away!!It isGORGEOUS! I am seriously impressed. I could only pray that I may learn half enough to get pictures like that. Wish meluck!

Sheila

Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:55 AM   #7

Well thanks Sheila,,apppreciate the compliments,,,i love macro shots,,,and this DC is well capable of doing them too,,,hope you enjoy yours..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:30 PM   #8

It takes a bit, but once you get the feel for macro photography, then it gets easier.

I just took a couple with my DX7630.

This is a shot of my boa constrictor, Maggie. The shots I have problems with are coin shots. Trying to get decent close up of coins are difficult.

Steve

Attached Images

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:14 PM   #9

The close-up of Maggie is fantastic. Such detail!

I have been working with my camera for a while now, but have not gotten the hang of it quite yet. I am getting better though. I have learned a few tricks from those that take close-ups in my Pocket Watch Message Board, and lighting seemsto be a major key. I would immagine trying to capture coins would be a serious challenge.

I do like your picture, it shows detail in just the right places.Because I am not used to them, I'm not real fond of Boas. However, the picture sure makes you appreciate what a magnificent creature Maggie is huh? Kinda makesme rethinkmy opinion of a creature that I have never known. Thank you for sharing Maggie with me, she actually is facinating.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 9:44 PM   #10

Hey Sheila, thanks for the kind words about Maggie. I don't get too many compliments on her considering her diet is composed of live rabbits and being almost 9 feet long, people usually keep their distance. That's okay, I like her more than most people.

Anyways, for me coin shots are the hardest to take. Some of my macro photography of my tarantulas have turned out amazing but I find concentrating on small objects is just a very difficult task. You can never get close enough to capture the detail. I guess it would make life easier if the EasyShare series had a manual focus.

I don't know about other EasyShare cameras, but the DX7630 doesn't have manual focus and that sort of uspets me, but it makes up for it in other areas.

What sort of macro photography are you trying to do, Sheila?

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote