Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 8, 2004, 12:14 PM   #11

Yup,,,one year,,,doubt highly that it`s the camera though,,,,,,

I`d get another card,,,,,then send the defective one in on warranty if it has warranty,,then you`d have 2,,,which can be nice time to time...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 1:09 PM   #12
Administrator

Well, I'd probably try to see if it will format in another camera first (then see if it will work in yours). Try taking it to a store with demo models, and see if you can try a format it in a model like the Minolta G500 or G600 (see format instructions in mylast post). Then, try it in your Kodak.

I doubt it's the camera (but you may want to try another SD card to make sure).

Personally, I would never use a Sandisk SD card in mycamera(although I have no problems with their other media types). I'd go with a Panasonic or Simpletech Card in 256mb or larger sizes. These use high quality Japanese Components, and are rated at 10mb/second (versus the Sandisk cards which are 2-3 mb/second).The Sandisk standard SD cards (and other brands using the same components) seem to have more problems in some devices. But,I don't know if this is because of their slow speed, or for other reasons.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 4:04 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'd probably try to see if it will format in another camera first (then see if it will work in yours). Try taking it to a store with demo models, and see if you can try a format it in a model like the Minolta G500 or G600 (see format instructions in mylast post). Then, try it in your Kodak.

I doubt it's the camera (but you may want to try another SD card to make sure).

Personally, I would never use a Sandisk SD card in mycamera (although I have no problems with their other media types). I'd go with a Panasonic or Simpletech Card in 256mb or larger sizes. These use high quality Japanese Components, and are rated at 10mb/second (versus the Sandisk cards which are 2-3 mb/second).The Sandisk standard SD cards (and other brands using the same components) seem to have more problems in some devices. But,I don't know if this is because of their slow speed, or for other reasons.

I start school tomorrow so it will be a little hard to try and formatit in another camera, especially since the only place within a hundred miles of where I live that even carries digital cameras is walmart, sears, and staples. If one of those places don't have the camera your talking about then I would have to drive a long way's tofind one. I was thinking about getting another card any way's and now might be the time I guess. I will just call sandisk tomorrow and see if I can get them to replace or repair the card I have. Hopefully they will just send me a new one. I have read of other people having a lot of problems with sandisk since I purcharsed the one I have. Not really the same problem as me though, mostly getting corrupt files and stuff. Sosimpletech and panasonic make better cards than lexar? I've alway's heard that lexar made really good cards too. I willkeep you guys updated.
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 4:59 PM   #14
Administrator

jkulysses wrote:
Quote:
Sosimpletech and panasonic make better cards than lexar? I've alway's heard that lexar made really good cards too. I willkeep you guys updated.
Lexar has a very good reputation. SD is different, though.

There are 3 major manufacturers of Secure Digital: Sandisk, Toshiba and Panasonic.

Most other "manufacturers" are using rebranded components. In Lexar's case, some of their Secure Digital Cards in the past have had the same components as the Standard Sandisk SD Cards. Some of them have used the same components as the Panasonic Cards (so they are really very fast cards if you get one of these).

Now, once you go to the newer Lexar "High Speed" Cards, this changes. In their high speed 32x cards,most of them in the supply stream appear to be using the same components as Panasonic Cards (so they are "really"using faster components than their 32x designation indicates). They also have a newer 64x SD Card.

Here's what appears to be happening. I've seen reports that newer Lexar High Speed Cards appear to be using different components, made in the U.S. So, it looks like Lexar may be manufacturing their own Secure Digital components now (speculation, but since the components appear to be unique to these newer cards, it is plausable -- especially given their 32x and 64x ratings, with unique specs). They also have a higher speed burst rate specified.

So, if you get one of their newer 32x Cards, it may only be a 4.8 mb/second card. However, I haven't seen any benchmarks where the tester checked the codes and place of manufacturer. So, it's hard to say if these cards will test slower than the Panasonic cards or not.

But, there is a good chance that you'll still get a made in Japan card using the same components as the Panasonic cards (I don't know how many of the newer cards have been shipping, versus the older ones in the supply stream). I saw one user report a U.S. made card within the past month, and another later still reporting getting a Japanese card with the codes on thecardindicating the same components as the Panasonic cards.

So, you're "rolling the dice". In any event, any of the Lexar "High Speed" 32x or 64x SD Cards would probably be a safe bet as far as reliability goes. Just to be safe, I'd probably avoid the standard speed cards though (to make sure I didn't get one using the same components as the Sandisk Standard SD Cards -- even though you've got a good chance of getting one with the same components as the Panasonic cards use).

Now, chances are, your Kodak isn't going to take advantage of the faster speed of these cards anyway. It's just my opinion that you're better off going with acard using the same components as the Panasonic Cards (like Simpletech). Although, I think the Lexar "High Speed" cards would also be a safe bet, judging by the past reputation with other memory types.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:49 PM   #15

I called sandisk and they gave me a RMA number and even emailed me a prepaid fedex label. I sent it off on friday and they said it would be 4 weeks or so from the time that they recieved it until I would get a replacement in the mail. I'm going to order a new one from newegg tonight. I was going to get the panasonic one you mentioned, but newegg does not carry the 256 pan. sd card. They do have the simpletech one though, so I am going to go with that one. When sandisk sends me the new cardI will probably sell it on ebay or something and then get another simple tech one. My friend said to just takeit to walmart and say that I lost my receipt, but I think i would feel a little guilty if I did that. Especially since walmart wants about$15 or so more than ipaid for it at newegg. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Jake
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:51 PM   #16

Well, I got my new Simple Tech SD card in the mail yesterday and my camera still will not work. I guess that proves that it was the camera not the SanDisk card. I feel kind of bad now because I sent that SanDisk card off for no reason. They sent me a brand new one with out even asking me any questions. It should be here on monday. Kodak on the other hand is having me send in my camera to get repaired and I have to pay for the shipping and handling. I love the quality of pics that my DX 6490 takes, but not to impressed with the quality of the camera any more. I've barely even used this thing and I take such good care of everything I own. I especially baby my electronic stuff. I just hope that they take as good of care of it when they repair it. I will be really ticked if I get it back and it is all scratched up and stuff. The really crappy part is that me and my wife are going on vacation in two weeks for our aniversary. I really hope they can get it back to me in time because we are going to do all kinds of stuff that I would like to have pics of. Let you guys know how it goes. At this point I'm wondering if maybe I should have gottena konica or canon.

Jake
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:03 AM   #17

Don`t you think that`s a little harsh,,,,i`ve never seen the DX6490 do this before,,,,any piece of electronics mass produced will have a few defefective units.....

Did you not like the camera before the malfunction......were you not pleased with the DC in the first place....

If you had purchased the second SD card first then you would have saved time and known it was the camera,,,which would have gotten the DC back before your vacation..

I know it`s frustrating when things don`t work but if i had to get my car fixed i wouldn`t sell,,,,i had dust on the sensor of my 6490,i used a can of compressed air to move it off the sensor because i too was to go on vacation in 2 weeks,,and i still have it too....

One last suggestion,,do you have a cost-co nearby,,,i`ve heard employees from their suggest buying a DC from them,,,6490 or other,,,,then after vacation just return it and say you don`t like it,,their return policy mandates that they must give your money back if not satisfied.....this way while the DC is being repaired you can at least have one for your vacation,,,they have the 6490 in a lot of locations too...

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:52 PM   #18

Ordering a new SD card first wouldn't have saved me any time at all, because I ordered the new Simple Tech card the same day that I RMA'd the SanDisk card because if I was the SanDisk card I was going to sell the new one they sent me on Ebay and then get two Simple Tech cards. I never said that I didn't like the camera. I love this camera, but if I keep having problems then i'm going to be disapointed and will probably move on too a different brand. I almost got the sony f717 but it was a little on the big side and didn't feel very comfortable in my hands. Can't help but feel a little disapointed that I'm now having to send my camera in for repairs less than 3 months after getting it and not using it very much in that three months. Who wouldn't be after spending months trying to decide which one to get and then finally settling on one and then it breaks for no apparent reason. I wouldn't care if it was my fault because I dropped it or something, but that's not the case. Hopefully this will be the only problem I have. If not then it will end up on ebay and I will get something else, that is all that i'm saying.

Jake