Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:13 AM   #1

It is a sandisk 256 and has been working fine for several months now. I just got back from a vacation and I used the card to upload some pics back onto it through my printers multi card reader slot, took them in to wal mart and made prints off the card and then I came back home and formated the card through the same multi card slot on my printer and now it won't work in my camera. It will just take pics. with the internal memory and if I try to format the disc through the camera it says that there is no memory card inserted in the camera. Is this aproblem with my camera or card? The card works through my printer for uploading and downloading, not sure why it won't work in the camera. Any opinions before I have to start calling tech support? I'm going to start with kodak and then call sandisk if kodak can't help me out.

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2004, 12:28 PM   #2

Use easy share to format the card,,,tell us what happens..i think the camera has an option to format also..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 12:32 PM   #3

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
i think the camera has an option to format also..

Brian

Last but one on the setup menu.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 12:36 PM   #4

I tried formating the card through the camera, but the camera says that I don't even have a card inserted. It doesn't even think that it has a card inserted. I will see if I can format it with easyshare software and post back. Not sure if it will work if I can't even get the camera to recoignize that I have a card inserted unless I can format using easy share through my printer multi card reader.

Jake
Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:12 PM   #5
Administrator

With most camera models, you can't use Windows 'XP to format a card (unless you use FAT, which is really FAT16). This is because Windows will format it using a 32bit FAT by default (which is not compatible with most cameras).

I'm assuming that you used Windows to format the card, with the card slot in your printer looking like a removable drive. This is is definitely not a way to format your cards. If your camera can't see it, you may want to try using Windows again (making sure your select FAT for the format).

Personally, I never write to a card, using anything other than the camera. Also, I format my cards with the camera (not a PC), prior to each use.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 11:39 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
With most camera models, you can't use Windows 'XP to format a card (unless you use FAT, which is really FAT16). This is because Windows will format it using a 32bit FAT by default (which is not compatible with most cameras).

I'm assuming that you used Windows to format the card, with the card slot in your printer looking like a removable drive. This is is definitely not a way to format your cards. If your camera can't see it, you may want to try using Windows again (making sure your select FAT for the format).

Personally, I never write to a card, using anything other than the camera. Also, I format my cards with the camera (not a PC), prior to each use.

Yes, this did cross my mind and yes I did format it using fat32 the first time, but since then i have went back and reformatted it under fat and the camera still will not read it. I will try this again and see if i can get it too work. Thanks for your post and I will let you guys know if this works.

Jake
Old Aug 7, 2004, 11:53 PM   #7

I just reformatted it twice using the FAT in windows XP and the camera still will not even recognize that there is a card in the camera. I would think that even if the card was defective or not formatted correctly, that the camera would still be able to recognize that there is a card in it. I don't know though, i will just have to call kodak and sandisk on monday and see what they say.

Jake
Old Aug 8, 2004, 6:30 AM   #8
Administrator

jkulysses wrote:
Quote:
Yes, this did cross my mind and yes I did format it using fat32 the first time, but since then i have went back and reformatted it under fat and the camera still will not read it. I will try this again and see if i can get it too work. Thanks for your post and I will let you guys know if this works.
Well, I have seen a post or two before from users indicating that once they formatted a card using FAT32, they could never reclaim as much space on the card as before, with some cameras unable to recognize it again, even after reformatting at FAT16. With most SD cards, you'll have around 240k space available with a correct format (not all of the space shows up anyway with SD). It may depend on how "finnicky" the Kodak is.

You may also want to try formatting it withdifferent camera model. I'd go down to a camera store with the card, and try another camera. BTW, the Minolta G500 appears to do the equivalent of a low level format, so give it a try, too. You'll find the format option under Menu, Setup, Format. Then, select SD as the media type (it supports both SD and Memory Stick media).

BTW, no Sandisk SD Cards are approved by Konica-Minolta for this model, so if it starts hanging up on startup, then you'll know that it doesn't "like" the card (some Sandisk cards work OK, some don't).Konica-Minolta used to approve Sandisk SD in sizes through 128mb, with specific warnings about using the Sandisk 256mb SD card may cause the camera to malfunction with errors, but they've since removed all Sandisk SD media from their list of tested cards for the Minolta G500 (a.k.a., Konica KD-510z).

You may also want to try the Panasonic SD Formatter Utility. I've had users report that their Sandisk Cards were able to be used OK after formatting with this utility. You'll see it at the bottom of this page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/audio/sd...rmatter_e.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 12:43 PM   #9

Thanks for your help, I will try the panasonic utility you reccomend and then let you know how it goes. My card says that I have about 244 mb on the windows format utility. If I can't get it to work, will sandisk cover this under their 5 year warranty and send me a new one? Maybe I won't tell them the truth and just say that it keeps on getting corrupted.

Jake
Old Aug 8, 2004, 12:59 PM   #10

Nope, it still will not work. Hmm, this is very frustrating. i guessI learned my lesson though, that is for sure. I will have to call sandisk tomorrow. I don't remember reading anything in either the sandisk instructions or the kodak's instructions about not formating with any thing other than the camera. Do you think it is the card or could it possibly be the camera? I really hope it is the card because it would be much easier to replace the card then to try and mess around with kodak to get the camera replaced or repaired. How long is the warranty on the 6490 anyways? Hopefully it is ayear.

Jake