Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:32 PM   #1

i dont know how to setup this kind of shot apart from having landscape on.
Attached Images

ash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2004, 5:41 PM   #2

What problem do you see ash1,,,specifically....

There are different ways of taking this shot,,you could click the exposure compensation up a little,,make it brighter if you want,,,,you could leave it out of lanscape mode,,,,which will blurr the background and show the boat sharper if that`s what you want people to concentrate on,,,a polarizer helps too,,,cuts down on glare then you just up the exposure compensation to +.3-+.7 ,,depending on what you would like to see..you could also zoom in a little or a lot..

You see it`s not what we think you should do,,,it`s what you`d like to see captured and how..

What would you like to see this pic being,,,,and i can help you decide what to do next time,,do you think it`s too dark,,not focused the way you like ????

Here`s my cut on this,,,when i took similar pics the 1st of August in Halifax,Nova Scotia,,,they were having the Tall Ships there..

What i wanted is to have the sky nice and blue,,the water blue,,,,,and depth of focus right to the back,,,now if i wanted only the ship in focus i would have went to aperature mode,,,set the aperature at 2.8 or a little higher,,put the exposure comp up a little due to the fact i was using a circ polarizer,then only rthe ship would have been sharp,,,,,some people like that better,,,depends on taste mostly....

Here`s the pic,,let me know what you see you`d have liked in yours,,we`ll give you some tips..

Brian

Attached Images

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 6:56 AM   #3

hi brian

the probem i have is pictures are dark even in good light.

Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:14 AM   #4

Had the same problem with some shots of the Tall Ships when it was overcast like like your shots which makes the DC go want to expose darker...,,,you need to up the exposure compensation,,,while in auto mode click the jog dial in front and up it to arround 0.7+ and try that..

Here`s what i mean,,,this pic was taken in auto,,no exp adjustment,,same overcast sky as yours ...

Brian
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:22 AM   #5

Now this one i upped the exposure compensation ,,,you will never get it perfect,,,why,,,because you are shooting a subject that is almost black against a white background...the only way this could be inproved is with fill flash,,,and due to the distances involved it would have to be a really powerfull flash,,,that would fill in the shadows...

I`ve found that you can take a pic,,look at it in review and if it looks rather dark there then up the exposure compensation and take a few more in steps,,,0.3+ then try 0.7+...

Here`s the second one with the exposure compensation upped to 0.7+ any more here and the sky would look really bad,,it`s really starting to get overblown now...

Hope this helps,,the 7590 will have exposure bracketing that this DC does not have,,,but it is easily done manually upping that exposure

Brian
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:25 AM   #6

What do your shots look like on a day that the sky`s are not overcast,take a few,,not in the direction of the sun though,,that does the same thing,,,are they the same,,,,or better...

Brian
Old Aug 15, 2004, 2:48 PM   #7

many thanks brian

my shots are normally ok.

the exposure compensation will probably do the trick.

i suppose it is just a case of trial and error.

thats the great thing with digital you dont waste any film

ahh the tall ships what a great event .

ok brian best wishes keep up the good work
Old Aug 15, 2004, 3:33 PM   #8

brian - i've had a dx6490 for a few months now and i'd never realised that the exposure setting could be changed using the jog wheel whilst in auto mode! i guess i should've paid more attention to the manual but i'd assumed this could only be changed in pasm mode - many thanks for the tip....

pixeljuicer is offline   Reply With Quote