Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:55 AM   #1

Hi, I purchased a new kodak 6490 a couple of days ago and i've barely gotten any pictures i've been satisified with. Previously I had a kodak dx3600.

Good or low light conditions, outdoors, indoors,low zoom, high zoom, I haven't gotten many crystal clear pictures. After reading all the reviews for this camera I had high expectations. (I don't think I read a bad review..)

I'm seriously debating bringing this camera back and switching to a Canon or something since all my friends use them and have had no complaints. But before I do that I thought i'd see if there was something I am doing wrong.. I read the manual last night. I haven't played around with the PASM settings much since i'm basically a Point and Shoot type of person.

Any ideas?
jett316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:47 AM   #2

Could you post some examples?

We will have a better idea if we can see the problems.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:44 PM   #3

Sure, i'll post a web URL when I get home from work.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:06 PM   #4

Hi;

Unless there is something actually wrong with the camera you bought, you should be getting some very clear shots. The camera is a little slow in composing shots, though. Don't shoot until you see the green light in the upper right-hand corner.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:15 PM   #5

The pictures I have taken were at a low zoom and the green light did come on. I'll see if I can get my wife to email a couple of the pictures and i'll post them.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 4:04 PM   #6

Here's a picture... I'll host a bigger version and give the url.
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2004, 4:15 PM   #7

Here's another, outside, no zoom if I recall correctly.
Attached Images

Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:34 PM   #8

What is the outcome of this? I have the same issues with the blurry photos....
djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:41 PM   #9

I've got the 6490 also and I absolutely love it. BUT when my wife used it she was getting blurry shots every time. I found out the reason. She was not half pressing the button to clear out the picture. In other words, you have to push the button half way (not taking the picture) until a green box comes in which in turn is focusing on the subject at hand. When the green focusing box comes up on the subject then click the button all the way. If you aren't doing this 97% of your pictures will be blurry. If you are doing this 99% of your pictures will come out crystal clear. I hope this helps.
Johnnytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:26 PM   #10

Very simple info but true and important and if you havent done this then I think it will solve yer problem and dont be afraid to experiment with it and if you can try to understand the functions and how to use them as the manual is quite vague if you like I can post some sites that have more info on some of these subjects. As I mentioned Kodak in my opinion explains very little on how to use the cam, myself I learned more by being here and searching on the net for certain terms and explanations of how to better use the cam...at 1st , most of my pics were blurry as well so hang in there you'll love the cam...Its AWESOME
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote