Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:33 AM   #1

Anyone have any idea what might have caused some of my pictures to be too dark?

I was in the shade,they where standing in the sun.Help !!! Very new !!! I was using the general setting on the camera

Sandy
Attached Images

smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:33 AM   #2

The problem is that the sky dominates the frame so the camera has taken it as a reference for the exposure.

Next timeyou can always up the exposure compensation by using the jog dial on the front,but the shutter will slow, so there is more chance of shake. Or justshow less sky. (much easier)

This picture can be saved though, by selecting around the couple, you can play with the levels to increase the brightness/contrast.

Here's a very quick adjustment, but because of the original image size here, it's nowhere as good as it can be.

When you use the original file, the results are a lot more pleasing.
Attached Images

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:34 AM   #3

It looks like the sun was coming head on to you, just behind them.. and it shadowed there face? thats what I would think.
rayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:01 AM   #4

Thanks Snail,like I said I'm so new to all this,I'm glad the picture can be saved though.I use photoshop 7. Yes Rayf I was facing the sun .My sons wedding so I was pretty nervous anyway,sure would have liked to have gotten a better shot here though
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:28 PM   #5

Smiles,,,also the next time you get a shot like this with the sky overcast and really bright and the subjects that close use fill flash,,,,

Most people do not use their flash enough they think it`s for night use only,,,,but daytime portrait shots is where you should be using the flash the most,almost all pros use their flash for portraits it will get rid of shadows under the chin and nose and give the pic a more filled in look,,this pic would have turned out excellent with the flash set to compulsory.....it would have lit up the subjects and the camera would have underexposed the sky a little due to the flash too...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:55 AM   #6

Thanks Brian,I'll remember that in the future !! The compulsory flas you mentioned is that the smae as fill flash ? I sure have a lot to learn :?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:54 PM   #7

Yes same thing smiles...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote