Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 20, 2004, 4:13 AM   #1

Just got my dx 6490 and im already loving it. I was wondering if the program that came with the DC is any good. I'm only using photoshop for my pics. I had photoshop 7 already installed on my computer and was hesitant in installing the easyshare program. Is it any good? Thanks.
digi_flix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:02 AM   #2

Personally I wouldn't be able to tell you, because I haven't even installed it. But obviously Photoshop is much better sinse it's a proffesional photo-editing/art-making program.
Bioviral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:49 AM   #3

I like the EasyShare program for very quick editing (contrast, brightness, etc) when the picture has only those issues to correct. Since I have the printer dock, I do a quick correction and print the picture (usually at a party or when I have guests that I want to send home with a picture). I really love the printer dock for that reason. I've printed wallet-size pictures and put them onmagnets and sent my guests home with "fridge photos"on many occasions!

I upload from the dock with my Kodak, and also use the EasyShare software when uploading from my Sony. It not only stores the pictures in EasyShare, but also in a folder on my hard drive. From that folder, I edit pictures that need more tweaking in Jasc PSP8.

I also find the software convenient when sending an e-mail because it does the resizing for you. Just makes it quicker.

Some folks have issues with the software; I did as well. But I learned how to use it properly and set it up so it wouldn't "take over" my pc.

FYI - I don't prefer the EasyShare software for red eye/pet eye/too-much-white eye. Jasc does a superior jobfor those situations!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:06 AM   #4

Mare I was glad to see your post about the printer dock.I haven't purchased it yet but I think I might.I also use the easyshare software and find it very useful even though I do have PS 7.The Easyshare has been upgraded .Now when you e-mail pictures to someone it automactially puts them in a Ofto online album for viewing.Not really sure I like that but it may make it easier for people with dial-up not having to wait for picture to download ???

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:28 AM   #5

Greetings;

I like EasyShare for the convenience of downloading from your camera and immediately backing up your shotsto cd. I don't use it at all for anything else. It aparently does a reasonable job of oraganizing your shots into albums, but be warned, if you move pictures after they have been added to the collection, it's a hassle.

On another note... In my opinion, version4 is too buggy to use. It won't necessarily burn files to your current cd (multi-session burning) The program has a tendency to hang after tranferring pics from the camera. The help people at Kodak have been very helpful, but I have had no end of trouble this week trying to get back to version 3.3.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:41 AM   #6

Thanks Tom,I hadn't tried the cd burn with the newer version yet.

I don't care as much for the newer version as I did the older one ,may have to go back. Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:15 AM   #7

I haven't downloaded the new version thanks to this forum! I've read about the troubles folks are having, and since I upgraded to 3.3 from the Kodak site and don't have the 3.3 cd, I'm leaving well enough alone!

I, too, love the burn feature in EasyShare!

and I, too, realized that after moving my pictures on my hard drive, they are no longer available for print/edit in easyshare. I just moved them back to their original place on my hard drive and now i can access them again! Now I just "copy" the pictures to another file if I want easier access from my hard drive.

I have encountered one problem, though, and I don't know how I did it....

Whenever I downloaded pictures from any source to EasyShare, it produced a subfolder with the date the pictures were acquiredunder a Kodak folder. Now, everything just goes to the same one folder with an older date.

Any ideas on how I fanagled that one?

Cheers!
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:47 AM   #8

Tom, I love your avitar!!!!!

Cheers,

Mare
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:36 PM   #9

Thanks, Mare;

It was a great shot to work with. The moon was one night off full, but still the detail is there. There's a lot of Photshop Elements tweaking to give it the 3-d look. It looks a lot better at full rez.

I'm glad you liked it.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote