Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:00 PM   #1

Hey all,

I returned my 6490 this weekend and picked up a canon a80 and I thought i'd share my thoughts.

Consistency wise I think the Canon gives me more predictable pictures but even with the canon a fair number of my pictures come out slightly off or blurry. A few things I noticed is that the camerait isn't as good in low light conditions. I had trouble locking onto my dogs in low light. The LCD screen doesn't adjust like on the kodak. On the kodak even if the picture didn't come out I could see the subject clearly. The macro mode on the canon isn't as good as well. That could be for 2 reasons, 1) it just isn't as good, 2) the larger viewfinder on the 6490 lets you better judge if the subject is in focus.

As for the 6490, the good pictures I got with it were really impressive. I took a picture of some flowers on full 10x zoom from my car (see attached image). But I found that alot of shots that I expected to be clear (indoors, little zoom) came out a bit fuzzy.

My question for you guys, is how consistent is your camera? Do you get many fuzzy pictures? Is that to be expected with digital cameras? Is it user error on my part? I didn't seem to have as many pictures with my old kodak dx3600 PAS camera but I did have a few..

When taken macro shots, lowlight, zoom should I expect to have to take a few to get a clear one?

tnx.

Attached Images

jett316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:31 PM   #2

I'm having similar concerns with my DX7440. I'm usually quite happy with the pictures that aren't blurry, but as you mentioned, it is inconsistent. I've used a Fujifilm F601Z for 2+ years and while the colours aren't as good as the Kodak, I could generally getthe focus the way I wanted.

I've noticed that the macro shots are very good, and the landscape (focus at infinity) are good. But the area in between is inconsistent.

MFaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:56 PM   #3

Well i have a DX6490 and ouit of 2000+ pics i might have had 20 blurry....and they were definately my fault,,too close,,shakey footing,etc....

I honestly can`t take bad pics with this DC without trying,,,,never had a macro shot that was not as sharp as a pin.....

I abviously am very pleased,,there are some downfalls with this DC but so few of them that i don`t care....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:45 PM   #4

I have a DX6340. A lot of my pictures look "thatched". Other people have complained about this; I also have a Sony DSC-S75 and I've never, even after taking 6,500+ pictures, seen the "thatching". I don't know what causes it, but I'm not sure about upgrading to the Kodak DX7590 because of it.

Just look at the young lady's facial features. It's even more evident when I print the picture!

Any comments?

Attached Images

Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:58 AM   #5

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think my DX6490 is pretty consistent, but I just wish this idiot behind the lens was as good.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:05 AM   #6

Thanks! Nice....
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:45 PM   #7

Mare wrote:
Quote:
I have a DX6340. A lot of my pictures look "thatched". Other people have complained about this; I also have a Sony DSC-S75 and I've never, even after taking 6,500+ pictures, seen the "thatching". I don't know what causes it, but I'm not sure about upgrading to the Kodak DX7590 because of it.

Just look at the young lady's facial features. It's even more evident when I print the picture!

Any comments?

Looks like the sharpening is up too high to me (that causes the enhancement of lines) Try backing that off a notch (if it can be done in that model) otherwise you will need to slightly blur it in post processing. The beautify skin filter may also be a good thing on them. The 6490 (and I will assume the 7590) both allow you to set the sharpening.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:45 PM   #8

Thank you very much! I appreciate your response.

I don't believe it has the capabilities to adjust the shapening. If the newer models (6490 and 7590) do, it's worth checking into!

Thanks again!

Mare

Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:37 PM   #9

Mare,,the DX6490 which i have and the DX7590 which i`m getting both have sharpness adjustments...

The 7590 will also have fine compression mode which will help here...the 7590 has a pile of new options which will definately help the novice get better results,,also a lot has been added for the pro to like to,,,scene modes,,exposure bracketing,,,,check it out ...

There will be numerous companies bringing out new cams this fall but the kodak still stands out for it`s ease of use and quality pics..

I had 2 slr cameras ,,11 lenses,,etc,etc,and do not miss them even a little since getting the DX6490....Awsum camera for the price.....

Check out the specs on the 7590 here bud.......

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Oh,,the EVF on the 7590 is going to be sweet,,,311k pixel screen almost close to double the 6490 pixels...iy will definately be nice and clear...

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:32 AM   #10

Thanks, Brian...I value your opinion - I've seen your shots - they are beautiful. I was going to post a thread regarding buying the 6490 for less money or waiting for the 7590! You've answered that question for me! 7590!

I get nice results with my 6340, it's just the occasional shot, mostly indoors, that has that "thatched" look. Actually, when I print one like that using my Kodak printer dock, it is so evident; but when i have them professionally printed, it isn't as noticable. I really do love my printer dock, though... It's so much fun to take and print pictures while I'm hosting a party and people take them home!

I took this shot with my 6340. It may not be the best, but it's pleasing to me, and that's what counts!

Another reason I need an "easy" camera is my eyesight! It's really bad and I really can't spend too long post-processing because it bothers my eyes too much (i'm nearly blind!) I find I don't have to do much of that with the Kodak.

Thanks, Brian for answering my question, and I hope you have a wonderful day!
Attached Images