Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 3, 2004, 4:11 PM   #1

Is there a setting for taking macro shots with the DX6490,or would I need to purchase add-on lenses to do this? I have seen where people on Better photo say pictures where taken in Macro setting but I fail to find it

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:24 PM   #2

Sandy it`s on the top of the camera,,,one of the three buttons has landscape and macro...

You push the button and a flower iconwill show up on the LCD to tell you that you are in macro mode,,,if you push it again a mountain icon will show,,,use that for landscape photos and anything over 30 or so feet..

One tip for you Sandy,,,,when using macro you get great results when getting up close to the subject,,as close as 4-5 inches and taking the shot,,,,,more detail that way,,,fill the EVF/LCD with the flower or whatever you are taking the pic of,,,then when you crop/enlarge it it will show awsum detail....

Brian
Attached Images

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:45 PM   #3

Hi guys;

Great shot, Brian!

I don't know if this qualifies as a macro shot or not. I was in macro mode, shooting from about 15 feet away, using a tcon-17. (wasn't that your trick, Brian?) The morning sun was hitting the flowers just right, but the background was still in shade and is horribly under-exposed. Still, I like it. I find more and more that I'm attracted to certain qualities in my "bad" pics.

BTW the shot is at f3.6, at 1/750 sec.

Still making mistakes,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:09 PM   #4

I think it`s still a nice shot Tom..

Brian
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:09 PM   #5

I think it`s still a nice shot Tom..

Brian
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:26 PM   #6

Thanks, Brian.

You know, as a beginner, I really appreciate input from more experienced photographers. It gives me incentive to keep going.

Thanks again.

Tom

To keep on topic... I think the 6490 takes superb macro shots. For all its little deficiencies, it is a great camera.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:45 AM   #7

Thanks Brian,I knew that was there but didn't realize it was for macrp shots !!!!(duh)

Your picture is great !!

Sandy
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:49 AM   #8

Great shot Tom !!!!! Hoping to add some more lenses later on.This is my first ever camera where I can set apt,exp.& shutter speed and find it a little confusing.

Alot of my picturres are coming out too dark or blury

Sandy
Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:32 AM   #9

Hi Sandy;

About two months ago, when I got my dx6490,I didn't know an f-stop from a bus stop. The camera is very forgiving for idiots like myself, and even when I do something wrong, I'll often get a shot that has something I like... so day by day I'm learning. (see the shot above) That shot was "bracketed", but the shot that had a better exposed background didn't please me in the same way.

As regards blurry/dark pictures, are you waiting for the "green light" before you press the shutter all the way? The 6490 takes about a second to set focus and exposure, so if you're pressing all the way at once, it can't do the job properly.

Another thing in this regard is to becareful when you compose the shot as sometimes the camera will meter off a prominent backgoround feature or something else that isn't your subject. I'll often compose my shot two or three times before I decide to shoot.

Last two points...

1. Get the lens adaptor, even if you're not going to add lenses immediately. The adaptor will protect your lens from accidental bumps, scratches, etc.

2. Get to know the PASM mode. You have to think more, but you learn the fastest when you have to choose settings your self.

All the best, and thanks for the kind words,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the info Tom,I've only had the camera about 2 weeks and know nothing about f stops!!.you mentioned bracketing?? What is that ?? A lot of time my green light has a hand next to it,even though the light is green.What does that mean??

I feel really dense asking all these questions!! I've never used a camera like this before.My other digital was the Kodak DX 3500,just point and shoot I got some really good pictures with it,but wanted some zoom,thats why I bought the 6490Here is an example,Promise not to laugh !!!

Sandy

Attached Images