Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:56 PM   #1

Hi folks;

While cleaning my camera this evening, (dx6490) I noticed a fleck of dust on one of the inner elements of the lens. I have heard of the "bellows effect" where the movement of the lens during power-up/power-down can oops air and dust inside the camera. As yet I have not noticed any effect on the quality of the pictures, as the spot is small enough that it leaves no shadow in the sensor.

On a related note, almost since the first month I had the camera, I began seeing a small accumulation of dust on the inside of the lcd, down towards the "delete" button. Dust from outside is obviously getting inside the camera.

I know that dslr users occasionally have to have their equipment cleaned of accumulated dust. I have not heard the same about point-and-shooters, though. How about you folks? Have any of you gotten dust inside your dx?

Is there any solution to this problem? How long before I get a really big piece of dust in there and can't take quality pictures any more? Can I use an aerosol blast to shake things up? I really don't want to try to remove the lens elements to physically clean the glass.

I'm open to any (reasonable) solutions.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:49 PM   #2

Well, if you bought your camera on Futureshop and got the Warranty, im sure that they might be able to fix it,or even replace it for you.
Bioviral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:55 AM   #3

Brian had a smudge on his lensa while back.

If I remember correctly, he used a can of compressed air to clear the lens.

Best to wait for his reply, to explain how exactly he did it.

Cheers, Paul.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:17 AM   #4

Yup,,but mine was directly on the sensor,,,which did affect the pictures a lot,,,i used a can of compressed air...

BUT.........since your problem is dust on the lense,,leave it be....until it does become a problem,,,,why,,,,because you risk injecting more dust in the camera when you do that,,,,,there will be dust all along the lense and inner seal which when you use the can will be propelled in and now instead of a few dust flakes,,,you will have more...

The air can should only be used if the dust is on the sensor,,,,injecting that air will just move it somewhere else not as critical,,if you try blowing that dust out of the lense it might just get on the sensor,,,there is no way that you can blow it right out of the DC,,,it`ll just swirl arround,,,the lense must be removed and cleaned,,,and by someone in a dust free shop that knows what he/she is doing...

So in short form,,,leave it be or send it out to be done professionally,,,,but as you noted yourself,,,the plunging action will only cause this to happen again,,,,so leave it as long as possible,,slight dust in the lense will make no impact whatsoever on the image.....a ton would,,,but just soften the image a little..

There is small dust flakes in mine too,,,really small but they are there,,,as seen below,,,,it makes no diff...

Brian

Attached Images

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:48 AM   #5

Thanks Brian;

I will follow your advice - do nothing for the time being. I don't see any effect on the pictures as of yet. I did buy it at Vulture Shop... I mean Future Shop, but I didn't get an extended warranty. I'm pretty sure their store warranty is 90 days, which of course passed last week.

Thanks again,

Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:32 PM   #6

Just a quick update;

I called Kodak... they're very helpful, and can take care of things for me - if I'm willing to do without my camera for 3-6 weeks! I'm definately going to hold off for awhile. I don't have a backup camera, and I simply can't imagine going that long without it. What am I going to do, read books? (inside joke - I'm an English teacher. ha ha)

I've got about 9 months left on the manufacturers warranty. I think I'll hold off as long as I can; hopefully the condition doesn't get much worse.

Old Oct 9, 2004, 12:21 AM   #7

Ok;

The dust is now on my sensor... at least I hope that is the problem. I'm starting to notice white specks on my pictures. If those are hot pixels I'll be really upset.

Brian, where exactly did you input the air to clean your sensor?

Regards,

Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2004, 8:18 AM   #8

Tom,,,,i`m doing the same,,as you know i have a similar problem.....

My advise is wait till late winter,,,let`s face it we have nothing worth while

taking pics of here in Canada then anyway,,,LOL

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote