Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 23, 2004, 1:53 PM   #1

I recently took pictures of my daughter outside (morning daylight) with a flash, and the pictures were totally black in the background. With the flash off everything was normal. I've tried it with other things since then, and the same thing happens. Everything I take with the flash on, close up or not, appears very dark. Is something wrong with the camera or have I changed a setting by mistake?

Thanks,

Sheree
sheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2004, 2:12 PM   #2

Greetings;

Quick question... do you have extra lenses or the lens adaptor attached. These may interfere with the flash illuminating your subject. Have you tried an external flash?

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 2:47 PM   #3

I think what might be happening is that when you use the flash, it puts so much light on the subject that the shutter speed has to be decreased to keep from overexposing the subject (close to the camera.) This results in the background objects being underexposed, and they turn out dark. The 6490 has a pretty powerful flash, but it still will not illuminate objects in the far background. You might want to try the fill-in flash option, or just leave the falsh off for a more natural look.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 4:22 PM   #4

I don't have an extra lens or adaptor on. This is something that has just started happening. I've taken hundreds of pictures, close-ups, outside. It's a drastic change. I'll try attaching two different pics so you can see the difference when I get home tonight.

sheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 4:58 PM   #5
Administrator

Sheree:

What do you mean by morning daylight?What is bright to the human eye, is not to the camera's lens, so what propwash said could be the problem.

You didn't say what camera you were using. Looking through a 6490 review, it looks like there is a "Reset" menu choice. I suspect that other Kodak models have a similar menu.

I'd tryresetting your camera to factory defaults via this menu choice, in case you accidently changed a setting that may be causing underexposure.

What camera are you using, and where was the mode dial set when you took the photo?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:37 PM   #6

I just posted an observation/request for help regarding the 7440 I just bought.

Here are a couple indoor shots with flash

http://www.bigheadeddog.com/digitest/100_0219_med.jpg
http://www.bigheadeddog.com/digitest/000_0121.jpg

Is this the kind of darkness/lack of detailyou are experiencing?

Original message:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18
uncool is offline   Reply With Quote