Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:20 PM   #1

Just a question... if you people are out in the field and you see a fantastic shot and you think wow, that would look cool in BW, do you take it in colour and then convert it to BW or do you let the camera do the BW?

Silly question, I know, but a friend and I were take snapshots and pictures the other day and he just does everything in colour, I would evaluate the shot and then decide. I don't know...

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:21 PM   #2

Steve

I just got done shooting today at an old train station and some trees as well andhave experimented with that very thing. That is take the exact same shot in color and in B&W, then bring the color one into Photoshop CS and turn it into B&W and compare the end result of both.

I intend to post the results tomorrow and you can judge for yourself then. In a preliminary look it seems to me that the one that was shot in B&W has a bit of an edge in overall completness of gray tones. While the converted one was a bit sharper in crispness. The difference is notto me so startling that the average looker would notice it but on real close inspection that was my sense of it to my eyes.

Terry
trtjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:12 AM   #3

I look forward to your pictures. I've never done that before, I've always let the camera do the B&W. I've converted already colour pictures to B&W with Photoshop CS or Elements, but I've never compared the camera B&W to the software B&W.

Steve

Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:52 AM   #4

In Photoshop go to Layers > Add Style Layer > Channel Mixer

Choose one of the tree colours and hit on monochrone and play around with the settings. Most people use this to turn their pictures to black and white. If you choose green and monochrone you get the exact setting as taking a picture B&W.
Bioviral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 6:39 AM   #5

Bioviral wrote:
Quote:
In Photoshop go to Layers > Add Style Layer > Channel Mixer

Choose one of the tree colours and hit on monochrone and play around with the settings. Most people use this to turn their pictures to black and white. If you choose green and monochrone you get the exact setting as taking a picture B&W.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I have been using desaturate and then tweaking instead.

Terry
Old Oct 16, 2004, 6:34 PM   #6

I don't know if Photoshop CS has it, but Photoshop Elements has a Grayscale option that discards the colour and makes it B&W. I tested my cameras B&W and the greyscale and it's damned close.

I'll post an example soon.

Steve

Old Oct 16, 2004, 6:44 PM   #7

Here's the example. The only test subject I could find was my dog who decided to pose nice and pretty for the shot. She was rewarded with a dog cookie for her efforts.

Here's the camera black and white shot.
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2004, 6:46 PM   #8

And here's the photograph taken in colour and then using Photoshop Elements, I used the grayscale option to convert it to B&W. (Image --> Mode --> Grayscale)

Steve

Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:33 PM   #9

Steve,

Both good pics, but I think the camera shot has a bit of the edge for me over the photoshop conversion.
BTW great looking dog, what a sweetheart. I wonder if photoshop has a fix for white eye too. :-)
Terry