Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:19 AM   #1

Firstly, I'm not 100% sure that the phenomenon I'm referring to *is* called barrelling but hopefully you can see what I mean from the attached picture.

I took this whilst on holiday recently. I'm pretty sure I took it at full zoom with either a polarizer or a skylight filter. I notice that there is some signs of barrelling (the black curves around the edges) Is this sort of thing to be expected when using a lens adapter? I was also thinking of buying a 2x telephoto lens but I'm now wondering if the problem will be even more noticeable when using one? Can this occur at the other end of the scale too - i.e. with macro lenses?

Cheers

Paul
Attached Images

pixeljuicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:47 AM   #2

I've just realised that I'd made matter worse by adjusting the levels in the previous picture (ship.jpg) Here's another at 10x zoom that is as it came out of the camera - the barrelling is far less noticable, but it it still there. This secondpic was taken from the Acropolis just before the para-olympics were due to start.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2004, 2:58 PM   #3

Just looked at some shots I took this weekend and you're right, there it is. Just didnt notice it before. I think its called vignetting or something like that, and either we both have defective dx6490's or its just a by product of full zoom. Seems like you pretty much have to be at the full 10X to make it happen, drop back just a little and it goes away
gruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 3:50 PM   #4

Vignetting is the term,,,,and yes it`s caused by the adapter and filter...

I`ve seen this on mine too,,,

One question guy`s,,did you buy the cheapy adapter from e-bay,,52mm

If so that may be the problem,,it is supposed to be 55mm,,,,the first bunch out from aftermarket were undersized....

I got a used 52mm adapter for the 52mm filters i already have,,,i get the same problem..

One other thing,if it is the 55mm adapter you are using,,,and you still get this with only one filter on the front,,,,,,you can get low profile filters from the good filter makers like B&W,,,,this may also correct this on either adapter,,,why,,,,because the filter is threaded too in the part sticks out forward of the filter glass,,the low profile filter has no threads or is flared and the threads above the filter are larger than the 52mm or 55mm so it`s out of the lenses view......

Try a bunch of pics with just the adapter in place and see if the problem still exists,,if it does,,either get the larger 55mm adapter or the improved filters....

Hope this helps..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:21 PM   #5

Thanks, Brian. This is good to know.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 3:57 AM   #6

Hi Brian

Thanks for the info. I bought the adapter directly from Kodak, so it is the correct one. The pictures were taken with just the adapter and one filter - either a skylight or circ. polarizer, I can't remember which one it wasas it's a few weeeks since I took the pics. Theskylight is Jessops own brand and the polarizer is a Hoya. I don't know if theses are goodbrands or not, I was in quite a rush when I bought them as I was going on holiday2 days later!

I'll take a bunch of test shots, with/without the adapter and filters and see how they come out.

Paul

(and thanks to gruss for letting me know the correct term is vingetting!)

Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:44 AM   #7

No problem PJ, its good to know some of this stuff I've been reading is actually sticking!

Brian, I wasnt using any adapters or filters and I could see it in mine, do a quick fix in photoshop and it jumps out at you. I dont have anything here the correct size to upload but you can see it on my "late intro" thread, the pic with the waves crashing the lighthouse, 3rd down.

Like I said before, you dont have to back off the Zoom much to get away from it, and its not something that really bothers me, well, unless I actually do have one of just a few that do this? That seems pretty unlikely though, and I believe I saw mention of this in a review, but at the time I didnt know what vignetting meant just mentioned it was minor or somehting
gruss is offline   Reply With Quote