Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:48 PM   #1

I have a 6490 and I take pictures in areas that are somewhat dark. I go to the gym which has no natural light and sometimes I go to an indoor arena where lighting is poor. I really can't use flash so any suggestion on lenses or whatever would be great.

Speaking of flash, I hear the Sunpak flashes are good. Can anybody suggest an external flash for someone on a budget.

These forums are great, and now that I have a camera I intend to visit often.

Cheers

CG
mrpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:17 PM   #2

hi there CG,

i take a lot of indoor pics. it is a problem in large places with poor lights. and flashes aint that good to light up the whole are properly. so i use longer shutter speeds. the results are quite good.

but you have to practice at it a lot. holding a camera still for more than a second takes practice.

:|
Ark.
Arkantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 4:33 PM   #3

Best bet is set the camera to auto mode first,,,press the shutter down halfway,,and see what the shutter speed would be in the LCD....if it`s really low,,below 1/90 sec you will need a tripod or very steady hands,,indoor shots like that are tough,,if it`s a game with fast action,,even tougher....

So if you get to the gym for a game,,you will have to get the shutter speed up or blurry pics will behanging all over your wall,,,you either use a large powerfull flash,,or up the ISO...since you say flash is not allowed,,then try this go into Pasm mode...then press the menu button and change the ISO too 400...

You can also go up to 800 speed but remember this,,,it will force the rating to one star (i megapixel) mode...and if you forget to change this back after the series of shots it will remain 1 star even in auto mode after.....

The 800 iso setting has it`s uses though,,if you need to set it that high to get a shot without blurr,,,then use it,,,at least you can get the shot....although it will have a large amount of noise in it,,,so will 400 speed too though....that`s where a good noise removal program comes in,,like Noise Ninja,,along with others.....

Anyway,,always use the lowest ISO setting for the job to keep noise down to a minumum....

Oh,,and as for lenses,,,almost all add on lenses except a few will take light away from the sensor,,not add to it,,,so it will make the shutter speeds even lower....if you can keep the DC in wide angle mode to allow more light in and just crop the pic when you get home....Raynox is the only aftermarket lense manufacturer i know of that claims no light loss with they`re newer wide angle and tele lenses..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:38 AM   #4

wow you guys are great. I think I'm starting to get a better undrstanding, but like you said I'm going to have to practice big time.

CG
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:47 AM   #5

I used my DX 7440 in a nightclub recently. I didn't want to use a flash on the performers, so I tried a couple of different approaches, but I must admit I haven't really gotten beyond full auto and scene modes. (Have had the camera just about a month now.) I liked the results shooting on auto with flash turned off in black and white. I adjusted the brightness on the computer using the Easy Share software. It was noisy, yes, but "way back when"--shooting 400 speed film under similar conditions--I would have considered it grainy, but I liked grainy. I even shot 400 speed in bright light so I could have grain. Of course there is a time for grain and a time not to have grain.

I also used the video mode to record about 3 or 4 songs on a 256 MB card along with the stills. It sounds good, and the lighting is not such a problem with video.
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:12 PM   #6

I did notice that taking video gets better results then taking pictures in the same lighting. Very strange.

CG
Old Oct 26, 2004, 9:58 AM   #7

Any of you tech-savvy people out there want to explain that one?
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:49 PM   #8

Rochchacha chick wrote:
Quote:
Any of you tech-savvy people out there want to explain that one?
Couple of factors:

1- Biggest one is the small size of the video frame. Do a heavy blur on the picture then reduce your 4MP picture to320x200 and it will look a lot better (the "grain" will be reduced pretty nicely). This works pretty good also just for making a grainy picture web ready. Just do a blur or average before doing the reduction.

2- Motion effects. When a picture is moving ourbrains are combining the frames and filling in the missing info. Grain is going to look smoother.

3- Shutter speed. The frames are captured at 20 fps. This allows a pretty slow shutter speed more light= less grain.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:01 PM   #9

Thanks, CastleDude!