Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 22, 2004, 6:47 PM   #1

Just got the Nikon CP8800 I ordered charged it up got out my Kodak DX7590 and took these head to head test pics.

Both cameras were set on rock&roll, the [email protected] 8mp The Kodak at 5mp, Fine setting for image quality on both. I let the cameras do their respective things and snapped the shots.

The only thing I did in photoshop was collage together and down size the entire image for the web.

Here are the results: In both photos, the Nikon is on the right.

What do you think, is the 8800 worth 2x's the price?

trtjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:21 AM   #2

The Nikon gives a much brighter picture, better lit picture. Not sure its worth 2x the money though.
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 6:31 AM   #3

Mike,

Here's what I see comparing to being able to see everything first hand.

The 8800 got the house color right and depicted the yellows better overall. The whites better.

The 7590 got the blues and reds right overall pic clarity just a bit better. Look closely at the plants in the backround upper right, or on the cloth samples, look at the cloth on the left and the blue pattern in between the figures, it is clearer and more blue.

The 8800 is a faster cam, the focus, zoom etc. It feels and sounds better built as it does it's thing. More options for shooting scenarios. The clarity of focus thru the EVF or the LCD much better. The cam feels better in my hands.

The 7590 is smaller and lighter. Easier overall to use.

My wife who preferred the 7590 results had a good idea that I am going to try for test #2 as a comparison. She said shoot with one and note it's setting on auto, then set cam #2 the same and shoot, then visa versa. So I will do that test when the sun comes up and post the results for all.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:49 PM   #4

Here's part 2 even though there seemed to be no interest in part 1 other than Mike.

Today under a more controlled test, I ran a 2nd set of shots and here's the results: Noth cams were tripod mounted.

Threads
Nikon F3.2 on the left Kodak 3.1 1/15 flash

http://img18.exs.cx/img18/8084/N32K31-1-15.jpg

Nikon Auto 3.2 1-30 Kodak same set manually

http://img18.exs.cx/img18/1089/Nautof32-1-30K.jpg

Nikon 2.8 1/60 Kodak auto same setting

http://img18.exs.cx/img18/6803/NKautof281-60.jpg

Gossen Luna pro meter 2.8 1/125 both cameras set to that

http://img18.exs.cx/img18/6296/KNgossen281-125.jpg

Old Oct 23, 2004, 8:44 PM   #5

I shot with the Nikon all day today and here's my assessment of the entire thing.

The Nikon is a faster more responsive camera that feels better in my hands. If one goes in and sets up the cam and shoots on PASM, the Nikon actually shoots far better pics all the way around.

If one is looking for a point and shoot auto cam, the Kodak does a superior job all the way around. It is lighter and easier to operate. The auto just takes better pics than the Niklon does on auto. One would not at all be disappointed with the 7590 for shooting auto or any other pics for that matter. So in this case I would say save the $500.00 and buy the DX7590.

If on the other hand one is willing to think about the pics a litle more and use A or S preferred, the Nikon can and does take better pics and allows for more growth, with many more features available. So if this fits you, then spend the extra $500.00 because it is well worth it.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:09 PM   #6

This was a useful report. Thanks!

I prefer the 8800 much better...
Laserheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:13 AM   #7

Laser thanks for the read and feedback. The 8800 allows for more creativiy and growth down the road.