Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:40 PM   #1

I am thinking about buying this camera within the next 2 weeks and just want to know if it is a overall good camera. I plan on using it for parties, events, etc. How is the picture quality on it? Any help on these questions will be appreciated. Thanks
jrdnsrnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:24 AM   #2

Howdy ! I bought my 7440 about two weeks ago, and have been nothing but pleased with it since. Straight out of the box, pictures are easy to take, and using auto focus for straight forward shots are crisp, vibrant (without looking unnatural colour wise) and generally very pleasing to look at. Taking pictures with this camera is fun, and IMO hassle free.

What I really love about this camera, is that for the price, there's a good amount of features if you want to go a bit beyond simple point and shoot. I'm planning on buying the add on lenses (wideangle, telephoto and macro) in a week or so because just owning this camera, is making me want to shoot more and more pics every day. I'm a total novice, but am learning a lot from just messing with the camera in general in different types of settings and conditions.

The one thing I would recommend you do though, is buy a spare battery. The battery life, is the only crutch I can see aside from not having a manual focus and manual white balance. (knew that before hand though) The first time I took the camera out, it didn't last too long because I was using the LCD to review, delete and snap pics with like crazy. Now, I try using the viewfinder as much as possible, which IMO, is a really nice feature as well. What you see, is basically what you get while using it, so there's no mistaking a shot.

The only problem I've had with it so far, is that I haven't had enough spare time to galavant around and take pics ! I recommend the camera highly for your uses. It's certainly cheap enough as well. I paid a total of $311 including tax and a nice little case for it. Also bought a 512 MB SD card with a $17 rebate from www.ecost.com which was definitely worth it. I was going to post a "few" samples, but I can only post one attachment at a time apparently. Must figure out how to post multiple attachments. Anyway, this is the cat through the terrace screen door. She's definitely a camera wh**e
Attached Images

Sweet Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:43 AM   #3

I absolutely agree with everything Sweet Spot said!!! I bought mine about 4 weeks ago and have had great success shooting full auto and scene modes. I haven't had time (or cooperative weather) to explore much further. If you buy this camera, I don't think you'll be disappointed; you could buy a camera with more features, but you'll spend a lot more money.

I also purchased a small Kodak camera case, which is just the right size, well padded, and holds the basic necessities. And I do need a spare battery; I ran mine down on a sunny fall day away from home this week!!

Here's a shot straight from the camera (except for resizing for posting purposes).
Attached Images

Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:31 PM   #4

Hmm, not sure of what I'm doing wrong, but I've registered at imageshack, and have uploaded pics to post and am not being very successful. I linked 3 thumbnail pics which are supposed to link to imageshack, and upon review, they seem to be clickable, and work, but when submitting the post, the thumbnails are no longer clickable, and the code becomes visible. Frustrating. The one link works in the post below, but if I add any text to my post, the link gets all messed up ? And yes, I know that the entire picture is out of focus :sad:

EDIT: Ok, so I tried posting the thumbnails on another site and everything is fine there. Jim, is it a limitation of my member status or something ?
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:35 PM   #5

Old Oct 28, 2004, 3:38 PM   #6

There is plenty of info about picture quality - here are some observations from everyday use.

I own a Powershot S45 and the 7440. Both are nice but the edge for my needs goes to the Kodak. The 7440 is just so fast - at startup and lag time. My primary subject is a 3 year old so speed is an issue. Also the flash is a single burst as opposed to the Canon which has a slight strobe effect which renders my subject with half-opened eyes.

And speaking of the flash, it's not that powerful. Here is a link to an observation/question I had before:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=7440

Basically the flash illuminates the subject but not much of the background. It's a simple step to enhance an image with iPhoto, PS, or any other image editor. Day light shots are great and the fill-flash works well.

I like the build of the Canon better - feels real solid as opposed to the plastic of the Kodak. They both fit in larger pockets just fine (Cargo pants) but because the Kodak is plastic it doesn't pull down my pants like the Canon does.

Also the LCD is great on the Kodak – Big and bright –
I almost got a Canon A95 because of the swivel screen but the overall speed and LCD size won out.

As for battery life I have two batteries so one is always being charged so it's not that big of a deal. The extra battery was $20 bucks.

The camera doesn't hold a charge with its internal built-in power supply very long so when the Battery Low alert goes on, go ahead and switch batteries. If you don't and the camera sits for a while with no battery, it'll lose the time and date which you will have to reset.

The software works well – I don't use it because I have a different workflow but it is quite intuitive.

I do not have the dock. I prefer to use a third-party card reader to transfer files. For me it's just more convenient.

Regardless of what you get keep in mind that you'll probably get a different cam in a couple years so it's not like this is a lifetime commitment. Buy it and be happy.

uncool is offline   Reply With Quote