Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:27 AM   #1

I have been researching the 7440 and the 7630 and am trying to make a decision between the two. I know that there are slight differences between them. I have also read comments about the 7440 flash not being very good indoors. Any comments or suggestions as to which is the overall better camera as far as picture quality? I know there is a Megapixel difference, but this aside, I am wondering about picture quality. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Karen
klwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 12:23 PM   #2

The flash on the DX7440 is rated within a foot of the DX7530 according to Kodak. I've had the 7440 for a little more than three months and find the flash indoors to be good for a camera mounted flash. The stated range is 2~13.1 ft at wide angle which seems about right. Both cameras have a flash compensation adjustment.

As with all cameras of this type, the brightness falls off with distance so there can be big differences in exposure if there objects at both ends of the flash range in the shot.

The additional wide angle capability of the 7440 is not insignificant if the indoor photos are groups, etc.

The camera has given satisfaction and if I had to do it over, the 7440 would still be the choice.

Whichever you buy, spend an hour or so a day 'playing' with it until you have the features and buttons down pat. Much of the unhappiness with these things comes from a lack of familiarity.

jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:35 PM   #3

Nearly all DC`s in this price and point and shoot range have weak flashes,,this is kodak`s way of saving batteries and getting more pics per charge,,,,,

There are external flashes available that fire without cords or links to the camera if needed...if you plan to take shots with any small DC over 10-12 feet you`ll need the external flash,,,large rooms with the whole family will turn out decent with the internal flash if they are not overly dark,,,but with the external flash they will be a lot better....these flashes see the onboard flash fire and in miliseconds fire,,,they do work well....

From all the people i`ve talked to i can`t remember anyone not liking the 7440,,,and 4 megapixels is plenty.....anything over 4 megs is too much for the sensor size and noise is more apparent...also the file sizes are larger and you get a lot less pics per card....in my opinion until they increase the size of the sensors in these non SLR cameras my advise is to stay out of the megapixel race or your image results will suffer along with your pocket book,,and if you don`t gain a lot in image quality,,,why bother...

Brian
Attached Images

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:31 PM   #4

Here is a rehash of someinfo Iprovided to another poster...

There is plenty of info about picture quality - here are some observations from everyday use.

I own a Powershot S45 and the 7440. Both are nice but the edge for my needs goes to the Kodak. The 7440 is just so fast - at startup and lag time. My primary subject is a 3 year old so speed is an issue. Also the flash is a single burst as opposed to the Canon which has a slight strobe effect which renders my subject with half-opened eyes.

And speaking of the flash, it's not that powerful. Here is a link to an observation/question I had before:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=7440

Basically the flash illuminates the subject but not much of the background. It's a simple step to enhance an image with iPhoto, PS, or any other image editor. Day light shots are great and the fill-flash works well.

I like the build of the Canon better - feels real solid as opposed to the plastic of the Kodak. They both fit in larger pockets just fine (Cargo pants) but because the Kodak is plastic it doesn't pull down my pants like the Canon does.

Also the LCD is great on the Kodak – Big and bright –
I almost got a Canon A95 because of the swivel screen but the overall speed and LCD size won out.

As for battery life I have two batteries so one is always being charged so it's not that big of a deal. The extra battery was $20 bucks.

The camera doesn't hold a charge with its internal built-in power supply very long so when the Battery Low alert goes on, go ahead and switch batteries. If you don't and the camera sits for a while with no battery, it'll lose the time and date which you will have to reset.

The software works well – I don't use it because I have a different workflow but it is quite intuitive.

I do not have the dock. I prefer to use a third-party card reader to transfer files. For me it's just more convenient.

Regarding lag time or shot to shot time:

1. The image review screen does not have an adjustment - it's either on or off. However, while it's showing you the shot you just took, click again and it will go away and you can click again for the next shot.

2. Turn off the preview and click like crazy.
The cam also has a couple burst modes.

Regardless of what you get keep in mind that you'll probably get a different cam in a couple years so it's not like this is a lifetime commitment. Buy it and be happy.
uncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:16 PM   #5

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate the help!

Karen
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:36 PM   #6

Hey:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I own a 7630 and I am totally happy with it. It's really flexible. I don't know a thing about the 7440 but if you do want a great little camera that is extremely versastile, then the 7630 is the way to go.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:06 PM   #7

Linebacker 2,

Have you noticed that the flash on the 7630 tends to wash out skin tones in people if used around 5ft or less? We played with this camera at Best Buy and on an auto mode it appeared to do this. I am concerned about this with this camera, as I don't know enough to do all the manual settings.

Thanks,

Karen
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:26 AM   #8

Sorry, I haven't had the problem. But, then again, I don't use the auto mode a whole lot since I've learned a little more about photography.

Anyways, I've found it to be a great camera.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:47 AM   #9
ari

klwilson wrote:
Quote:
Linebacker 2,

Have you noticed that the flash on the 7630 tends to wash out skin tones in people if used around 5ft or less? We played with this camera at Best Buy and on an auto mode it appeared to do this. I am concerned about this with this camera, as I don't know enough to do all the manual settings.

Thanks,

Karen
I seem to have the same problem with my 7440. With my old Canon S400, setting the exposure to center-spot seemed to get rid of most of the washout problems, but that doesn't seem to help on the 7440. It's kind of annoying since I take a lot of pictures indoors and the flash doesn't seem to spread out very much :sad:
ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:58 AM   #10

I just stumbled across this forum and am trying to make the same decision: 7440 vs. 7630. I'm new to Kodak but not too new to digicams.I love the look and feel of Kodak's cameras--at least, in the stores. I also want a camera that supports the SD Card format. May I ask a few more questions?

1. What do the digits in Kodak's model numbers represent? First digit=Model Year? If so, both cameras are from the same year. Second digit=megapixel, apparently.Third & Fourth digits=unknown. I get the impression that the 7440 is slightly newer than the 7630; perhaps that's what the last two digits mean? 40-series newer than the 30-series, but within the same year.

2. Reviews of the 7630 mention JPG compression that is "too aggressive". Does the same apply to the 7440?

3. The two models look almost identical. Do they have very similiar features?

4. Is the flash the same on both models?

5. Can I expect similarbattery life from both models? I was thinking of getting the 6000 Camera Dock, too. Seems like it would simplify data transfer and make it somewhat easier to re-charge the battery. In any case, I'm assuming it's not a problem to keep the camera charging in the dock when not in use.

6. The 7440 appears to have a wider angle? Is the difference noticeable?

7. The 7440 has a 4x optical zoom vs. the 7630's3x. Is that a big deal?

8. Will I regret going with 4MP instead of 6MP? I have a four-year old Sony 3.1MP that I'm "upgrading" from--too many battery woes. Just wondering if 4MP will represent enough of an improvement. To date, I haven't done anything larger than 8"x10" prints--mainly because that's the limit of my Canon i950 printer. But I have entertained the idea of getting larger sizes printed.

I have seen prices for both cameras from reputable dealers at almost the exact same price--~$280-320. So price difference isn't a concern to me.

Sorry about having so many questions. I really like these cameras! Thank you so much for any comments.
cwaters is offline   Reply With Quote