Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 29, 2004, 5:17 PM   #1

Ok, i got a dx7440...I'm new to digiphoto's and know nothin about aperatures and shutter speeds and the such....

Im mostly doin close up photography of plants and plant matter and cannot get a clear close up with lots of detail (macro ?)

Could someone help a new bootie understand digiphotography?
2MUCHSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 6:20 PM   #2

Well the 7440 has the same macro button as the 6490 i own,,,i just push the

close-up/macro button (looks like a flower) and keep the camera on wide angle..i find it takes better close-ups if you do not zoom,,,just get really close,,,as close as you can without getting an AF red light...i can get a few inches away....

The main thing in macro is the closer the better,,,some people want to go into manual modes too and select a higher aperature (smaller opening but larger number),,this will give you more depth of field,but i do not,,,i want a shallow depth of field in my macro shots.....

Iuse full auto mode too usually,,,,the best time to take these shots is early morning before 10:30 and late afternoon,,,,,morning being the best..the reason is the plants if that`s what you are after,,,have had all night to regain from all the sun the day before,,and also the sun is a lot less harsh,,less reflections......

I have some nice macro shots at my online gallery if you like to look,,,,as well as other pics..

Brian

http://brianhare.fotopic.net/

And here`s a bee macro shot..... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...0_9841bee2.jpg
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:54 AM   #3

Brian,here is a picture I took adding the #4 close up lens,that I din't know I had to have !!!!!!! :O

Attached Images

smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:50 AM   #4

Brian ,here is a picture I just took using the close-up on the camera in P.mode fully auto.Why do they come out so dark,flash was on but didn't fire:?

Smiles

Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:29 PM   #5

Was the flash on auto,,,or did you set it to compulsory,,,if you set it to auto it may not flash if the camera decides that there is enough light....

If you want to be sure it will flash,,,set the flash to compulsory which will ensure it will flash no matter what the lighting is....

Here`s another shot my wife took,no flash....

Brian
Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:40 PM   #6

That's a great shot your wife got there.I'm not sure I know what compulsory setting is ,please excuse my ignorance but this is very new to me!!!

I had the flash open and it said A with the lighting bolt beside it.I assumed that was auto flash.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Smiles
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:01 PM   #7

Correct smiles,,,if it`s A with the lightning bolt it`s auto flash,,,,push the flash icon button again and you get red eye mode,,,click it again and you get just the lightning bolt only,,,,that is what kodak calls compulsory flash,,,meaning it`ll fire every time no matter what....

This feature is very usefull for fill flash shots,,,when taking pics of people outside and they have shadows under their chins,noses etc,,,,or when you take a pic of a person against a bright background,,,as the camera will expose for the bright background and you`ll get a picture with very dark subjects,,the fill flash(compulsory) will light up their faces,,,does a very good job too within it`s range...

Now speaking of other uses for flash,,,,here`s a couple of pics i took of hummingbirds,,,,against a bright background,,,without the fill flash on they were definately dark,,,but with the flash on and set to compulsory,,,as you can see,,,it really helped make these shots turn out nice.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/100_1246.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/100_1224.jpg
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:07 AM   #8

Thanks Brian,Your knowledge has really been a very big help to me learning the use of camera.Your hummingbird pictures are awesome.I hope to one day be able to take pictures like that !!!:-) Smiles
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:18 PM   #9

Thanks you very much for the info...i'm getting the hang of it in a way...perhaps you can give me a pointer or two as to what i might be doing wrong

2MUCHSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:44 PM   #10

Looks okay but you can improve the shot by removing the buds next time. :G
sprof is offline   Reply With Quote