Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:42 PM   #1

Does anyone know if any company makes lenses for Kodak cameras besides Kodak? I want a macro lens for my DX7630 and Kodak only provides the telephoto and the wideangle lenses.

Any suggestions?

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:27 PM   #2

Hi Linebacker;

I'm not familiar with the 7630, but if you know the thread size, you can probably find an appropriate adaptor. There are lots of lenses out there. For what it's worth, the wide-angle for the 6490 is an outstanding lens.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:28 AM   #3

Hey Tom, what store in Canada is a good place to try out different lenses? If I got the adaptor from Kodak, would that work with the different lenses out there?

Steve

Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:24 AM   #4

Hi Linebacker;

I agree that trying out a lens is important. The problem is that in Canada there are few places that have a ready stock of lenses. You will probably have to order a lens from a reputable dealer. You may be lucky enough to have a dealer who would be willing enough to return the lens if you don't like it. There is no one like that in my area, though.

I was lucky enough to be in NYC in August and was able to try out a number of lenses before purchasing. I settled on the Olympus TCON17, which is quite good. I understand that the Raynox 2020Pro is even better (at around twice the price) but from tests I've seen even it is prone to some substantial CA (chromatic aberration) especially on the periphery.

Basically , once you know the thread size of your adaptor (mine is 55mm) you can order any lens that fits. You may be able to adapt to other lenses using step-up/step-down rings, but you run into the danger of vignetting.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards,

Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:45 AM   #5

Tom I just noticed your reply,I have the Kodak 6490,It's my understanding that the tcon 17 attaches to the lense adapter ,is that correct?? I like taking pictures of birds but sometimes with my camera lense all the way out to 300mm I still can't get close enough.Would adding the Olympus Tcon 17 help me any ?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:17 PM   #6

Hi Sandy;

The TCON-17 is an excellent lens for the 6490. I assume you already have a lens adaptor. This will also allow you to add polarizers and other filters. I always keep at least a UV filter in place. I would feel a whole lot better replacing a broken filter than a damaged lens.

Coupled with the Kodak's 10X zoom, the TCON really brings you close to your subject. It's not always so great with moving targets, especially in low light, as the increased focal length exaggerates movement, but that would be the same with practically any lens on a zoom camera. Because the field of view is so narrow with the teleconverter, it takes a little practice in tracking birds.

There is minor colour fringing on high contrast shots, but I don't find it a serious drawback. For what it's worth, even the Raynox 2020 Pro (pause and bow) produces this effect.

I heartily recommend this lens. You'll love it.

Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:01 AM   #7

Thanks for your feedback Tom,Yes I have the lense adaptor.I'm still in the saving stages for the teleconverter !!!! Wanted to make sure I could use it.

Do you happen to have any pictures you could post where you have used the TCON 17 ?

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:25 PM   #8

there are lens available for the 7630,

u need a lens adapter first...then u can get 2x teleconvter lens, .5x wide lens, 10x macro lens, fish eye lens...the lot really... ebay has alot of stuff on it
s|r_b00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:08 AM   #9

Are those 3rd party lenses or are those made by Kodak?

A 10x Macro lens???

Steve

Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:41 PM   #10

LINEBACKER 2 wrote:
Quote:
Are those 3rd party lenses or are those made by Kodak?

A 10x Macro lens???

Steve

as far as i know steve, kodak makes the 2x teleconverter but thats all i know. there are several lenses on ebay like the 10x macro lens...but unsure of brands etc etc...

Nick.
s|r_b00st is offline   Reply With Quote