Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:26 PM   #1

Well, just returned my 3[suP]rd[/suP] DX7440 to Amazon. The first one had a huge scratch across the inside of the viewfinder, the second had a big black particle stuck to the inside lens of the viewfinder, and the third one's viewfinder focus knob was froze up and could not be moved to focus. I guess if this camera came without a viewfinder, I would have been set with the first one! (BTW, an Amazon rep told me they have had 100+ of these cameras returned due to the black particle on the viewfinder. They are calling Kodak.)

Anyhow, now that I am skeptical about the DX7440 I have been looking at the DX7590. I am OK with the price increase, but don't want to loose any of the functionality that I liked so much in the DX7440. Also, when taking indoor shots with the DX7440 at 4X optical zoom (with all three cameras) the subject was very, very dark; to the point you would not want to print the picture, but with the DX7590 (tested at the store) the indoor pictures were wonderful, even at 10X optical zoom, (bigger lens?).

Any input on pros and cons of these cameras would sure be appreciated. I am just a general picture taker that wants consecutively clear, high quality, indoor/outdoor shoots of family and events. I would buy the DX7440 again; just wait a few months until all the bad ones filter out of Amazon.

Is the DX7590 the answer to all my problems, (zoom quality, camera construction quality) or will its professional qualities just confuse me and cause me to take bad pictures?

The functionality I must have in a camera is:
-Long battery life, (like in the DX7440)

-Crisp, beautiful pictures, (like in the DX7440)

-Fast shots, (like in the DX7440)

-I would be nice to have better indoor zoom quality like the DX7590 in the store, (were those clear bright shots just a fluke?).

Thanks for any help on this subject

Jason
ortred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:55 PM   #2

Hi Jason

I;ve had my 7590for about 6 wks now and I love it. I am a beginner at this and have had no problems with this camera.It can be strictly point and shoot(and do a very good job of it) or as we learn more about photography we can grow into tha advanced modes its capable of. Yes you will get long battery life,good construction, and good indoor photos.Check my post titled Halloween...it was shot at nite in a large room with only a 60 watt light on.I don't know anything about the 7440 so i can't compare them. I took about 35 indoor shots that same nite and every one was clear and sharp. sometimes the auto focus can seem to be a little slow but it hasn't been a problem for me.Steve hasa very comprehensive review of the 7590 in the camera review section here check it out. I would highly recommend this camera.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:44 PM   #3

My husband and I recently bought a DX 7440, AND we are planning to purchase a DX 7590. We can justify the expense of buying two cameras because there are two of us! We "need" two cameras because we may be two different places at the same time and want to take pictures or at least be prepared to should the opportunity arise. (I missed a great photo op yesterday by not bringing my camera to work. I walked along the Genesee River at lunchtime, and there was a gaggle of geese swimming across to my side and climbing out of the water in dappled sunshine. There were also colorful leaves in the scene. I hate when that happens.)

My main reason for choosing the DX 7590, which would have been my choice if I could only have one, is the 10X zoom.

I have had good results with flash pictures with the 7440. Check out my Halloween photos at Ophoto:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=hw3oae3...&x=0&y=-wbu9hp
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:35 PM   #4

Jason,,if 4 megapixels is enough for you i`d consider the 6490....i have heard very few complaints on this camera and i`ve had one over a year with some 14,000 pics to date.....the 7590 is nice too but i know a person that has the 7590 and 6490 and the purple fringing is definately more evident in the 7590....case of too mant pixels too small a sensor maybe...who knows......but PSP9 can and will solve the CA problem,,,,

The 6490 is definately a great camera at the price too.....

Here`s a link to my online gallery just keep in mind the pics are compressed heavily to get them at photopic,,,but this camera takes awsum pics,,,and the 6490/7590 quality is excellent...

http://brianhare.fotopic.net/

Brian

As for the 7440 i know at least 5 people who love them,,,they work nice,,,,if you want that camera buy one and send it in for warranty immmediately,,kodak service is really good,,they definately will get it done up fast and right for you....
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:32 PM   #5

FOR: brianhare

Thanks for the advice! Could you please explain the "purple fringing" though? I am afraid I don't know what that means. Shouldn't the 7590 be all the 6490 is and more? What if I just toned the MP's down on the 7590 to 4.0, would that take care of the "purple fringing"? It's just that if I am going to buy an expensive camera I thought the latest and greatest would be the way to go. While shopping around online I have found that I could get the 6490 for $359.00 and the 7590 for $438.00; that's only a $79.00 difference, (basically the cost of the dock that comes with the 7590).

BTW, I have noticed by reading through this forum that you seem to know just about all there is to know about digital photography, so maybe you could answer my original question: "Why would the DX7590 at 10X zoom take a perfectly bright clear picture, and then the DX7630 at 3X zoom, and DX7440 at 4X zoomturn out so dark and poor while taking the same picture side by side?" (I tested all three at Best Buy on the same subject).

Thank again for all your advice

Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:33 PM   #6

Thanks for all the great advice all! (Keep it coming!):-)
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:23 PM   #7

(1) Umm no on the 4.0 meg mode i`ve been told,,,,since the lense is exactly the same as the 6490 it must be the sensor.....

(2) And no i definately do not know everything about digital photograghy or photography in general.......but i`ve been at this for 25 years so i know a little.....

(3) On the sideby side test i can`t say for sure,,,,it could be the lense on the 7590 letting in more light or the default flash settings being very different...each camera does things differently and settings are different between them....i would think they all would take decent pics within their perspective flash range,,about 10 feet..... i myself find all onboard flashes in the price ranges we are talking to be very weak...the great advantage to the 6490/7590 is that you can use an external flash with the PC sync cord plugged right into the camera,,,i often use both the onboard flash and bounce my external off the ceiling,,,works very nice....

If you want to spend the money on the 7590 it`ll be a fine camera,,it has a lot of options that are very nice,,,,but the 6490 is still the better deal....the one megapixel really does not help you much but the flash compensation and exposure bracketing is nice.....

You will be pleased either way,,ease of use and great shots is what makes this pair stand out....

But as with any DC there is a learning curve you must go through to appreciate all the functions and shortfalls that come with any camera...i love it when someone tells me i can`t get this shot or that shot with my camera...i post a few shots to prove them wrong,,,,and ask them if maybe the camera is not the problem......a good photographer will always find a way arround the bad parts of a camera to make it shine,,,you just have to learn how....

Now,,,as for the CA (purple fringing),,,there is no work arround on getting rid of it before processing it in a photosuite,,,and all DC`S have it including DSLR`s... but if the CA is really bad even the best programs will alter the final pic away from what you took....so you want this CA to be minimal,,,the 7590 is a fair bit worse than the 6490,,,,and this comes with kodak (and others) cramming to many pixels on the sensor to stay ahead in the megapixel race to lunacy......having a ton more megs helps no one if the results are bad...

It can be taken care of reasonable well with PSP9 which has a CA removal program in it.....but my question remains why should you have to look at each photo to make sure it does not have a ton of this purple fringing..i was all ready to give my wife this 6490 and get the 7590 when a friend told me not too...and told me why......

So i guess newer is not always better in some ways,,,i`m awaiting the next kodak...

Any questions let me know,,,and if i put you to sleep,,,sorry.....

P.S. purple fringing is an actual purple line (sometimes blueish) between a really bright area and dark area,,,where there is a lot of contrast,,,,,you would see this quite well taking a pic of a bird in the tree against the bright sky ecspecially if the sky is overcast (white).you will see this along the sides of the tree limbs....just in case you didn`t know.....it can be quite disturbing if you blow the picture up,,,and should be checked throughly before you spend monet printing them off....

Brian

Attached Images

Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:44 PM   #8

Great advice never puts me to sleep. Thanks again for the quick response; I think I will add the 6490 to my research list. BTW, I checked out the photos per your previous post link; very nice photos, loved the autumn shots!

-Jason
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:03 AM   #9

Thanks Jason.....

Brian
Old Nov 5, 2004, 6:42 AM   #10

One thing I have not been able to find out as of yet is the difference between the sensor size between the 6490 and the 7590. I'm guessing that because the two cameras are structurally similar, the sensor may be the same size. I have not heard that this is necessarily the case, or necessarily a problem, but cramming an extra MP on that postage stamp could result in higher noise... (This, at least, from a camera-store-bully who told me to thow my whole kit out and buy one of his Nikons.)

Opinions?

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote