Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:05 AM   #1

I have experienced one very interesting problem with inaccurate exposure metering. In Custom or Manual mode, lowlight scene, half-pressing the shutter button, in the upper-right corner of the LCD screen there is a green-point :idea:signalling that the exposure is accurate (besides the focus). But it is not. The snapshot is then very underexposed. Only one thing I have noticed before taking a snapshot was red value of the +-EV compensation (e.g. -7 EV). I dont use the flash.
So my question is - if the camera cannot make EV comp., why it is signalling right exposure via green point??? Isn't it a camera error? Do I have to always look at the EV compenstion values instead of that green dot?? I would like to avoid bad picture exposure metering. Thank you forward for your reply.

[email protected]
tsbabe1456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:55 AM   #2

It's a manual thing. The green light is up because the camera is doing whatYOU are tellingIT and if it's wrong, you need to rethink how to get around it. (That's the fun bit)

The secret of mastering the camera is understanding how it works, the best thing to do is use A mode, adjust the jog dial until you see the locked option (In this case S) and then you will start to see how the camera works.

Hope I haven't been too technical.

Paul.

Another forum for Kodak users at.

http://www.cold-snail.co.uk/

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:36 AM   #3

Ok, so it is bad to always think how to skip this feature. After using my old analog SLRI expected very similar behavior of exposure meter indicator (which i had in the viewfinder) telling me - "right" or "false" exposure.

Technical english does not matter - I am one of technicians and a bit experienced in photography.

Thank you anyway.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:10 AM   #4

Could you post an example to look at?

There is one major difference between a SLR and one of these prosumer cameras and that is the apertures are different.

On my DX6490 f8 is about the same as f16 on my old DSLR, so it takes a little getting used to.

You will get some good results with the 7590, it just takes a little time to get intimate with it.

All the best, Paul.

Another forum for Kodak users at.

http://www.cold-snail.co.uk/

One from last night. (All exif data included)

Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:20 AM   #5

Here is the second of 2 snaphshots taken in Manual mode but with aperture priority.

The first one was underexposed because i believed the green point instead of EV compensation.

BTW very cool photo, is it longer exposure and tripod used, am I right?
Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:48 AM   #6

This works well in this shot, I don't suppose you still have thefirst attempt where it was underexposed at all?

Oh, thanks for the compliment and yes, it was taken on a tripod for 16 seconds f4 using the wide angle lens. (DX6490)

Edit:

I read up on the other forum and checked the exif data on the good shot and can only guess this...

If you put the camera into M mode and leave the exposure reading at center spot, choose the aperture that most suits, then adjust the shutter speed whist looking at the exposure compensation settings and aim for 0.0.

See how that works.