Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:25 PM   #1

Here's a few that I have fired off this week whilst up in the smoke.

Hope you like them.

All the best. Paul.

Look in at another Kodak users forum at

http://www.cold-snail.co.uk/
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:36 PM   #2

AWESOME pics.... Was the done tripod and night setting????

Wish I was someplace cool to get good pics... Here I am stuck in Kansas City...

Also was it a 6490???

zx12richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:48 PM   #3

They were all taken with my DX6490 in "M" mode.

The first three, were on the tripod as the shutter speed was 6, 1 and 16 seconds in order.

On the London Eye, I couldn't take my tripod on, so these were handheld with the wide angle lens at ISO200 at around 1/4 second.

The first one was taken close to Tower Bridge, but it was not a touristy bit, so I would just head out with a tripod and play with longM mode shots. (The most powerful feature of the camera)

Even traffic can look good if you leave things open long enough.

This shot I used a ND filter, but the others were either nothing or just the wide angle lens.

Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:02 PM   #4

Glad to know my cameras capible of such shots....

M mode..... That lets you manually adjust most everything right..... How do you know what to adjust to... Any guidelines????

You say set at 6 1 and 16... Whats that mean... Any help greatly appreciiated as I love pics but have alot to learn...

No flash I assume...
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:14 PM   #5

Trial and error is the best teacher.

The key is not to overexpose any part of the shot, first of all find a building without any lights pointing directly to you, set the camera up on the tripod and select ISO80, f8 and 16 seconds. (Use the timer as well)

If it comes out too dark, drop the aperture down to f5.6, and so on, untilyou are happy with the results.

If it comes out too bright, change the speed to 8 or 12 seconds. (Or less?)

You can also play with the ISO settings, the higher the number, the more light is picked up, but the cost is increased noise.

Have fun.

Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:38 PM   #6

Wonderful shots! Of course, these are my favorite types of shots, but it's especially satisfying to see them done so well. I agree with your comments about exposure. on my first night shoots, I had to fight the tendency to overexpose everything. In fact, I find that I'm often using a lot less exposure than I would originally have thought, which allows me to ease off on the ISO, the 6490's main source of noise.

Great work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:46 PM   #7

I have been playing with m Mode on it.. I have a question..

When I go to A mode and set apperature off to the right I get a +3or +something and I can change it... What is it??? I notice when I change it it gets lighter or darker in the screen...

Your a big help.... I appreciate the help.. Thanxxxx
Old Nov 26, 2004, 7:36 AM   #8

zx12richard wrote:
Quote:
When I go to A mode and set apperature off to the right I get a +3or +something and I can change it... What is it??? I notice when I change it it gets lighter or darker in the screen...
This is the exposure compensation factor. It allows you to lighten or darken a given exposure. The camera will often adjust this factor on its own, particularly when you have set a shetter speed/aperture which will not expose a given shot.You'll notice these numbers appear in every still-picture mode of your camera. (but you cannot adjust them yourself in M mode)

Play around with it, you'll notice that if you change your shutter speed, your compensation will change, and if you change your compensation, your shutter speed. (kind of like a photographic form of chiasmus) Essentially, you're trading one value for another, and the camera does its best to achieve a good exposure.

There are some technical details I've left out here, because I tend to ignore this a lot of the time.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote