Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:00 AM   #1

I had heard wonderful things about the DX6490 and was all set to buy it with my Best Buy gift card, and lo and behold, I see it is discontinued and I can't get it there anymore. Now, my husband really wants to use this gift card (or I'd just buy the 6490 somewhere else) so I am seriously considering purchasing the 7440with the gift card. Will I be as happy with it as the 6490? Any reason I should just go ahead and buy the 6490 somewhere else, (and use the gift card for accessories!?) I was so set on the 6490, and I just don't want to be disappointed. Or is there another I should choose instead? Thanks!

Pam P.
Pamp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:23 AM   #2

I went for the 6490 when Staples put it on clearance (don't think any are left, though) based on price ($278, WOW!!), and the 10X Zoom lens. It also can accept add on lenses, filtersand adapters, I don't know anything about the 7440... but my DX 6490 inspires and amazes me everyday. Go for the 6490 if you are interested in really getting what you want, but I am impressed with Kodak now, so the 7440 can't be too far behind, it has less zoom for sure, though.
Squid Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:04 AM   #3

If I was buying now I would buy the DX7590...
zx12richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:50 PM   #4

The 7440 and the 6490 serve somewhat different purposes: the 6490 has a 38~380 lens while the 7440 has a 33~132 lens, all 35mm equiv. and without auxiliary lenses. The 7440 has a greater number of non-automatic settings, too. There are those who think otherwise but to my taste both take excellent pictures. I chose the 7440for its wider angleand the fact that itis smaller camera which which will fit in a shirt pocket.

The 7440 can be equipped with an adapter, tele, and wa auxiliary lenses for about $100. The wa is excellent but the tele is not really 'zoomable.' Tele pics are fine at full xoom. In any case, the 6490 is a 380 at full tele while the 7440 with adapter is 264.

Think of what you'll be doing with the camera and that might make the decision for you.
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Still not sure what to do, but now I'm considering the 7590. I have heard that the click to capture time is very good with the 7440---does anyone know if it is just as good (or even better?) with the 7590? That is a big priority with me, as well as bright, clear, well exposed photos. Also, does anyone know if the flash indoors does a better job on the 7590 than the 7440? That is a concern for me as well. Thanks so much in advance. You all are very very helpful.

Pam P.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:01 AM   #6

Pamp81:

I'm very pleased with my DX7440 as a good all purpose camera and I like the price. A 256Mb Kingston Hi Speed memory card and an extra Kodak 1700mAh battery round out my kit.

Low res sample pics here: Link to photos removed ... need to clear web space.

Like it's bigger 6MP brother, the DX7630 is not as bulky compared to the 10x zoom models. Mine fits snuggly in a denim jacket, canvas vest or winter parka breast pocket. A Lowepro Rezo 50 camera bag is a perfect fit and can be slung over the shoulder or worn on a belt on those hot summer T-Shirt days. The beauty of a more compact camera is that they can be tucked safely away leaving hands free but hauled out quickly when needed.

The DX7440's 4x lens covers a very good range that's perfect for portrait work down to a reasonable wide angle.

I preferred the built-in lens cover of the DX7440 whereas the DX7630, DX6490 & DX7590 use a clip-on lens cover that is attached to the camera by a cord.

I understand that the DX7440 has better shot to shot cycle times than the Kodak 10x zoom models. I was also concerned about the Kodak 10x zoom models lack of image stabilization but many manage well enough without it. I've seen some outstanding photos online using those 10x zoom cameras. As mentioned above, it depends on what you want the camera for. The new DX7590 would be an excellent choice for those planned full zoom shots using a tripod. If I could afford two cameras I'd want one.

If the DX7630 had a diopter adjuster on it's viewfinder I would have gone for the higher megapixels just because. In all actuality, 4MP's is quite adequate for my needs and I have printed some awesome 8x10's.

Compare these cameras side by each at your Best Buy store. It will be a difficult choice so go with your gut feeling. You won't be disappointed.

zw
zomby_woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:28 AM   #7

Thanks for your reply zw. Your pictures are beautiful. How have you found the flash to work for indoor shots? I'm a little concerned that some say theyare getting dark pics indoors. Thanks!

Pam P.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:23 PM   #8

I have the 6490 and love it, but you have to decide what you will use the camera for. I already have a digicam that takes good pics inside, and wanted one that would be better for outdoors with a big zoom. If your primary concern is indoor picture taking, and the ability to put it in your pocket. I would think the 7440 would be an excellent choice. 10X zoom really isnt useful inside anyway. IF you need a "do it all" camera for nature as well as some b-day parties and such the 6490 or 7590 might be the better choice if you can live with the size and cost.
Dont think its a which cam is better, but which one fits your needs better
gruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:05 PM   #9

Pamp81:

The few photos I have shot indoors with flash are not too shabby. They'll do.

If you need betterflash here's a link for a slaveunit that looks pretty good. I won't be buying it because shipping to Canada is very expensive. UPS courier & custom duties ... ouch!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

As forother accessories that are available for this camera I was interested in the adapter and hood to blockunwanted glare and toprotect the lens in foul weather. But that stuff hanging off the front of the lens defeats the camera's pocketability. The Kodak 2x teleconverter was another cool thought but using it would cut down on the light hitting the sensor basically losinga few fStops. There is no way to get a cheap zoom that would compare to the 10x Kodaks. End of that.

I'm so pleased that you liked my pics that I uploaded25 higher resolution photos: Link to photos removed ... need to clear web space.

I'm amazed what these digital cameras can do.

Whatever your choice between a 3/4x or 10x zoom Kodak, you'll love it.

zw
zomby_woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:44 PM   #10

Thanks zw for the link for the flash (looks great!), and your pictures are beautiful again! I'm going up to buy the 7440 today, and I'm very excited. I have spent a LOT of time researching, and it looks like the 7440 will be a good choice. At the last minute I was considering the Canon A85, but the 7440 has it beat for red eye reduction and for speed. So the 7440 it is. Thanks again.

Pam P.