Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:15 PM   #1

Can anyone tell me why when taking pictures indoors with the setting A S or M mode set to tungston they look blue?? Example is really dark,but the best I have
Attached Images

smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:01 PM   #2

Are you sure the lighting is tungsten ?????...i know this sounds strange but if you use that white balance and the lighting is not tungsten,,,then it will turn out blue...

It will also do this if you use flash with the DC set to tungsten even if there is a tungsten light on in the room as the flash over takes the tungsten light that is not as bright....

Give me some info smiles,,did you use flash,,,,is the light actually tungsten or is it one of those flouresent screw in bulbs,,,,is there outdoor lighting coming in through that window?????

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 9:06 PM   #3

Thanks Brian,yes there was light coming in through that window,& yes I had the flash set to redeye,that's my dog I was trying to get the picture of,yes it's just a regular ole light bulb.Iknow now I shouldn''t have used the flash with the tungton set,so can you explain what I shouuld have done and why the dog is so dark?? I'm still trying to learn the use of my camera.So many questions,I'm so thankful for people like you

Sandy
Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:20 AM   #4

When you are taking flash pics with the onboard flash you must be within 10 feet for any sucess,,anything over 10 feet requires an external flash,,,which i highly recommend .......

Try night mode,,,no redeye (dogs do not get red eye),,,,,up the exposure compensation if the test shot appears dark,,,,and use a tripod in slow shutter shots....

Brian
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:53 PM   #5

Thanks so much for this info Brian.What kind of external flash do I need for the 6490,and how does it mount to the camera ?? Where is a good place to start looking for one??? :?

Sandy
Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:40 PM   #6

Any external flash with a synch cord will work,,Sunpak is one of the better units..

You can get them fairly cheap on e-bay,,,that`s where i got mine,,,you`ll also need a bracket to hold it too,,,click the link below for a pic of my setup,,it works well to 33 feet or so...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/100_2098.jpg

Brian
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:13 AM   #7

Thanks for that info Brian,does the bracket mount to the camera in some way??

Sandy
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:55 AM   #8

hey Smiles,

figured i would go ahead and answer. That little knob piece screws into the bottom of the camera where a tripod would. I would definatley encourage purchasing one. Makes a tremendous difference when shooting indoors.
bishopprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:16 PM   #9
Administrator

smiles wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me why when taking pictures indoors with the setting A S or M mode set to tungston they look blue?? Example is really dark,but the best I have
Because the flash is the primary light source in your image, setting the camera to Tungsten will result in a color cast (because the temperature of the light is different from a flash).

Leave it set to Auto or even try Sunlight (which is close to the temperture of most strobes)for best results when the flash is the primary light source. At 1/90 second shutter speed in your example, it's doubtful that ambient lighting was contributing much to the exposure.

Added:

I missed the part about light coming in from the window. Same deal... The color temperature of Sunlight (and Flash) will cause a color cast if you have the White Balance set to Incandescent (Tungston). Since your light sources were both Sunlight and Flash, using the Sunny White Balance Setting would have been the way to go.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote