Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:36 PM   #1

Hey all,

I shoot w/ a dx6490, but dad and i went and purchased the 7440 and printer for mom for Christmas. We went ahead and got together tonight so she could open it early and be shooting for Christmas. She absolutely loved it! I showed her all the different settings and how it worked. She then took a picture of the tree and we printed one. Looks perfect. That camera and printer is amazing! And of course I don't have to tell you about that Kodak color! Another satisfied customer. I tell everyone i know about these 2 kodak digicams!

7440 is super fast when it comes to focusing. That is the only problem i seem to have w/ my 6490 is the lag in focus sometimes. But you barely touch the button and this crazy little thing has it focused and is waiting on you to shoot!

Merry Christmas!
bishopprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:43 PM   #2

Congratulations on the DX7440. I have mine about four months and also love it. I did a lot of research before buying it and one of the main things I was looking for was speed- fast shutter lag. I am really happy with the speed and pretty much everything else,but low light autoo function, about the camera.
fgreenhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:08 AM   #3

No doubt the whole family will be 'helping' mom use that camera, I've been very pleased with mine.

The accessory WA and Tele lenses work very well, too.
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:27 AM   #4

I also received a DX7440 for Christmas along with a Kingmax Platinum (60x) 1GB SD card and I'm well impressed - fantastic camera (and no problems with card compatibility), v fast auto-focusing, good exposure, great pics and shot 2 videos (4 mins and 3 mins) at 640x480 resolution so far. I narrowed my choice of camera down to a Canon Powershot A85, Nikon Coolpix 4100 and the Kodak DX7440. I couldn't be happier with my choice :-)
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:15 AM   #5

I am feeling a little frustrated by all the excellent reviews of DX7440 both professional and amateur. Having purchased one this Christmas I confess too being underwhelmed by the quality of the images both indoor and outdoor. In particular the indoor images always look correctly exposed on the camera but appear underexposed (dark)when viewed through Easyshare on computer. When editting in Easyshare the enhance button then produces a significantly changed and better exposure. I've tried auto, program with exposure compensation, even manual changing everything I could in sight. Given that exposure is partially controlled by software why cannot the two Kodak software products (camera software and Easy share software) produce same results without needing out of camera correction? Outdoor images seem better exposed but not particularly sharp even on 4 megapixel plus fine setting. The camera and everything else in package was made in China. Is there anything significant about this? My son purchased a Minolta E323 and the indoor images do not require software exposure modification and are generally sharper, this from a cheaper, older 3 magapixel camera. Having worked in computers for over 35 years were my expectations too high? I have not yet printed any images because I moved to a digital to reduced number of printed pictures I have in my collection. By the way I do like the menu system etc on the camera.
focussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:29 AM   #6

Well,,,i know 1/2 dozen DX7440 owners,,,they love their DC,,,,so my question is since tou have not printed any off yet,,,how do you know the exposure is not right....could be right on......could be that your PC monitor is not adjusted correctly,,never assume that the DC is the problem till you go out and have them professionally printed off,,,by someone that does a proper job...

I`ve seen more people find out their monitor or printer was the problem than i can count,,,print a few off and let us know how you make out......hope you are having a merry Xmas,,,and Happy New Year too.....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:33 PM   #7

Yea, i would definately check the monitor. Mom took Christmas photos at my grandmothers and went to look at them on her computer and they all looked incredibly dark. She was really concerended and was asking why the camera was doing that. I knew it shouldn't be that bad and told her to load them on her computer and check them out. They looked perfect on her computer and printed out fine. The monitor was not adjusted right so all the photos looked dark. Make sure you print them out to know for sure.
bishopprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the two replies suggesting the monitor. I have just returned from a friend's house before Iread your suggestions, having already wondered myself whether there could be an issue around the monitor/computer. We tried both his monitor andviewing through his TV and sure enough the images were definitely brighter with very little difference between the unmodified JPG from the camera and the modified JPG. My next job is to try recallibrating my monitor and I'll let you know the results as well as trying a professional print. What's interesting is that despite having looked at many reviews etc over recent months, until you two made your suggestion I don't recall seeing any discussion about monitors particularly in reference to dark images. As you point out it could be that many people are experiencing similar issues. There is little information about monitor calibration either in the manuals provided with the monitor/computer or with camera manuals. I wonder why the issue is not given more prominence? Thanks again both of you for your prompt comments.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:56 AM   #9

Final update. I did recallibrate monitor and image quality was a lot better. I also had a couple of the images printed professionally as you suggested and the results were excellent. They improved on my existing35mm camera. I'm now happy with my purchase and look forward to using the camera extensively in the future. Thanks again. Happy New Year.