Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:18 AM   #1

My Dad bought a Kodak DC260 Zoom Camera years ago & gave it to me when he upgraded to a Kodal DX3900 Zoom 3.1 Megapixel. Fast forward approximately one year & I had dropped the DC260 so now it won't turn on & I needed a new one because I started selling on e-Bay to supplement out family income rather than working outside the home. That was last Christmas so he gave me his & bought another Kodak for himself. He also gave me the recharging dock for the DX3900. However, that too has ceased performing. Firstthe lensewould not retract but it would work in close up (flower icon) mode. Now for some reasonevery photo I take is blurry. I'm assuming the lense is malfunctioning. I checked to find out how much it would be to repaireither ofthe 2 Kodak cameras as cheaply as possible.TheKodak site said it would be $125 - $175 not including shipping or taxes.I also contacted a local camera repair shop who said there is no Kodak repair facility in my state.The site also said I could do a camera trade for $149 for a different model. So now I have 2 broken Kodak cameras & a working DX3900 dock but no way to take photos .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I did some research from e-Bay discussion boards which suggestedthe Fuji A205 which is available for about $100 but I don't know what to do with the 2 broken camerasI already have. I wonder if Kodak would trade in my 2 broken cameras for one that works for less than the$149.00 they quoteon their web site for trading in one camera.

Thanks for any advice you can give(other than stopdropping the camera:?)
notjusta*pretty*face is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:20 AM   #2

Sell them as parts cameras on eBay for whatever they will bring, which won't be much, and buy a new camera.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:39 AM   #3

You might search Ebay for what your two digital cameras might bring.

Then, sell them as parts.

You could borrow someone's digital camera (maybe your school has one too) to take photos of the item.

You could buy a one-time film camera,take photos of your items and then have the prints scanned as jpgs for Ebay.

As far as your Kodak 3900 goes, you might want to check if you are taking photos in "macro" (closeup) mode. That will make all your photos with subject more than a couple of feet away blurry.

It would not be cost-effective to have the two cameras repaired. They are, sad to say, obsolete now. Such is the "pace" of technology.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:08 PM   #4

Digcamfan - Yes, I am taking photos in macro because that is the only opiton. The normal function does not focus at all. I guess I'll be only selling small things for a while :-).

Thanks to you both for your help.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:16 PM   #5

notjustaprettyface,,,,i`ve seen a quite a few people get that offer from kodak too trade up,,,if you can afford it do it,,,they give you a new DC that`s recent and not out of date,,,this is their way of keeping customers happy and loyal,,,,and it works,,i know a few people who have gotten the new DX7440 for a great price that way,,,and it is a really fast camera ,loaded with options,,,you`d love it....

Kind of hope my 6490 will crash when they come out with the next version after the 7590....lol,,,and at arround 14,000 pics or so on it now,,,it`s paid for itself..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:58 PM   #6

What is a DC? I will write down the model #s of the 2 cameras they will trade me for the $149. price. I do not know enough about cameras to know whether it was good or not.

The Fuji A205 was recommended to me for eBay pics. There are a few on auction now under $100 but I'm not sure how reputable the sellers are.

Thanks for your response. Hopefully you can advise me on the model #s from Kodak, I will post again when I check them out.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:14 PM   #7

OK, Kodak will let me purchase a CX7330 for $149. & my broken camera. I can purchse a printer dock 6000 for an additional $80.

or a

DX7440 or an LS743 for $219. + a printer dock for $80

Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:33 PM   #8

DC is short for digital Camera.....all those cameras are nice choices,,,the LS series are quite small,,,,very pocket friendly,,and take really nice pics,,the DX7440 is larger,,but really fast,with the dx line having a lot more options and scene modes,,which automatically expose for things like beach mode,,,snow mode,,etc,,,the CX line is also nice but the DX line is the upper range from kodak,,,,,personally,,,,i`d get the DX7440,,,,,but the LS series is also a good choice.....either way i`d get the dock,,,printer dockor just the regular non-printer dock ,,,,,,it will charge your batteries,,,give you a place to leave it when not in use,,,so it is always charged up,,,,,,and the one touch transfer is bliss...no way i`d buy another camera without a dock,,,,it`s just too easy.......

So in short if money is an issue,,the CX is the way to go.

If not then the extra few bucks will definately be well spent on the DX7440,,,unless you want small,,,then the LS743....

P.S. if you do not plan on printing much,,then the regular dock may be acheaper option,,,and you can check locally to see what each choice you decide is priced at to see what kodak is giving you as a trade-in allowance,,,,,you will get only a few dollars for the cams on e-bay,,,,as they are older models.....and really a waste of time in my opion,,,,but you can try...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:42 PM   #9

Hey notjusta*pretty*face!

How did it go?

Do you have a replacement digital camera "enroute" to you?

:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:16 PM   #10

e-Bay is my only income to buy things for myself so I'm going to have to save up. I ran out of color toner last week & our roof just started leaking last night.

I can borrow my parent's camera or take things to their house to photograph. It's just not easy taking my mannequin over there. I can take photos in micro mode for now as long as they're not too far away.

Thanks for asking :bye: