Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1

I recently purchased a CX 7530 5 MP camera. Basically, my question is, why are the picture sizes so small?

The quality is set to Best. Picture sizes are ranging from .4MB to 1.0 MB with most at around .6 MB. I would have expected the file sizes to be much larger especially since my previous 2 MP camera produced files larger than 1.0MB at best quality.

The pictures appear to be excellent quality but I do not know enough to tell if I am actually getting what I paid for here (5 MP pictures that I can crop and still print out as quality 4x6 photos, I would also like to have the ability to print pictues up to 20 X 30 and get decent quality)

Assuming that the file sizes are reasonable for this 5 MP camera, how can I ascertain the actual quality of the photos?

Thanks, Keith
Keith985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:46 PM   #2

File sizes for kodak`s are small,,,jpeg compression is the answer,,,you will notice this in sky shots the most,,and sometimes see compression artifacts,,,kodak compresses the areas with the least detail the most,,,,,you find the pics when printed to be very decent though,,they do a decent job of compressiing the jpeg,,,though not always,,,it`s kodaks way of getting more pics per card...a lot of reviewers complain on this as there is detail loss because of this.....

I`ve found no problem in any way at 8x10,,,,look really nice with the DX6490,,,,but i also do not stick my nose against the print looking for problems either,,,i like to enjoy the shot,,if you look close at any pic unless taken in Tiff or Raw,,,,you will see things like that though at this cameras price point...

Print some off,,,and let us know what you think....

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Brian.

Even with the compression, doesn't .5MB seem awfully small file size for a 5 MP picture??

Thanks, Keith
Keith985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:41 PM   #4

Yup,,,it sure is,,,very small,,,my DX6490 pics range from 250k up to 2.0megs or more,,,depends entirely on the amount of detail captured,,,some of my firework shots are at or about 250k,,,,no detail=small file sizes....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote