Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:48 AM   #21

Yes, it seems much easier to get a sharp picture of a vehicle setting still than it is zooming by at 60 mph. Do you mean the shutter speed that the camera automatically sets for the various settings appears not to be functioning well in all the different modes I tried? Most of these images were taken in one form of Auto Mode or another. Mostly in the cameras Outdoor Action Sports Mode, which you think would be pretty close to an accurate setting for my purpose. Are you saying increase the shutter speed in Shutter Priority mode when shooting moving objects on a a cloudy day? The wrecker was sitting still, yet I took it in the Action Mode.

This photo:
http://www.mytimbuk2.com/Hallett_Jan_05/100_0470.JPG
I was using Shutter Priority Mode, and just guessed at the optional settings. I believe it is a somewhat better photo than most of the lot and am trying to learn what to adjust to get better pics with this camera.

The track photographer seems to take much better pictures and always uses fully automatic mode on several different cameras, but mine doesn't seem to be so.

I also was wondering if you should be set to Continuous Auto Focus in this situation or Single Auto Focus. I was panning the camera to follow the vehicles and tried both settings, but didn't seem to make obvious differences except I could always here it focusing, even with the lens cap on.

Thanks for any helpful input.
Tim T
OKC
timbuk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:55 PM   #22

I have been reading your posts with interest. I also recently got a dx7590. I read about focus problems in bad light but proceeded to get one.

I find I can take 6 pics in the automode, in poor light conditionsand 1 is really sharp the rest are reasonable.

It seems that there are a multitude of focus and light metering modes.

I found I got slightly better results if I went into the menu and selected Accessory Lens AF.

I also found the SCN mode useful for preselecting the shooting condition.

Something to be aware of with the DX7590 software when you download pics onto your pc the software also dumps duplicates in a Temp file. If you take lots of pics you should flush this file. Deleting the pics from the kodak directory does not delete the temp file of pics!

cheers

bill

bmori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:16 PM   #23

Thanks for the tip, I'll try the alternate lens setting.

I only used the Kodak Software once or twice and decided that was out. I use Thumbs Plus.

I purchased a card reader and extract the photos that way. I also have a problem just hooking up my 7590 direct to the PC... I've lost a few really good pics that way. You can't edit them until you move them to your harddrive, when you try to re-save the photo, it deletes the old one and the new one. Kodak Support once again had no clue. Sometimes the pics are there, sometimes they are not. So, my only option is the slow process of transferring them from the SD card via card reader. (I don't have 2.0 USB, my Dell is a whopping 3 years old) Oddly enough, I was using a Parallel SanDisk with my last camera and it was fast, and I tried to save money by buying an Edge Reader, WAY SLOWER! I was really surprise there could be that much difference. I really wished I'd shopped around more before buying this camera, I just loved my DC290 so much, I didn't think before I wished.
Tim
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:53 PM   #24

I'm in the same boat. My 7590 has horrable autofocus. When I half press the shutter button you can watch the camera in the LCD and this usualy happens:

Blurry...focused...blurry....focused....blurry.... done.

It usualy finishes on blurry. On average I have to autofocus about three times before it get's it right. This is with all different sorts of pictures. When I use the 4megapixel model below mine I have no such trouble. This also happens regardless of which mode I am in.

I spoke with some sales guys at CES 2005 and they told me Kodak was aware of the autofocus problem with this model and a firmware update would be released soon. However when I contacted Kodak support directly they knew of no such problem and didn'tknow what I was talking about.
JEmlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:10 PM   #25

Thanks for your comments... I was beginning to think it was just me getting old and shakey. I tried to talk to Kodak a couple of times and they have no clue that it might be a problem with the camera, it's all me. "Use a tripod!" is all they can offer. I never needed a tripod or monipod with my previous three cameras. They also told me they knew nothing of a firmware update. If not, I guess I'll try to sell mine on Ebay or something and find a camera that works in Auto Mode better than this one does. I'm trying to talk the girl that I traded my DC290 for to trade me, but she's very suspicious as to why. ;-)
Very disappointed in Kodak regarding this camera. My Brother and my Nephew both bought new Kodak Digitals, not sure which models, but lower numbers than this and they take excellent indoor pics on Auto Mode.

Tim
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:47 AM   #26

wow, kodak released a firmware that seems to solve the focusing issues in low light situations!!!

http://wwwde.kodak.com/global/de/ser...?ekn=EKN029622

greets from germany
KNUSPERHANS
KNUSPERHANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:41 AM   #27

KNUSPERHANS wrote:
Quote:
wow, kodak released a firmware that seems to solve the focusing issues in low light situations!!!

http://wwwde.kodak.com/global/de/ser...?ekn=EKN029622

greets from germany
KNUSPERHANS
It's in German! I didn't see a link for English. Would it work on mine?
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:00 AM   #28

Go here for USA download:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...?ekn=EKN029622
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote