Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:56 PM   #1

This is my fourth digital camera, tha previous one being a Kodak DC290. I wished I'd never given it up. It took great indoor photos under auto mode. I can hardly get a decent photo with my new Kodak DX7590 under the auto mode. I haven't had time to try and understand all the manual settings and what they mean yet, but I'm very disgusted at the difficulty and quality of this camera using the auto mode. Great outdoor photos, but most of my photos are taken... were taken indoors. All Kodak can tell me is to use a [email protected]#$
timbuk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:37 PM   #2

Go into "P" mode,,,change the ISO TO 200 OR 400,,try that and see,,,it`ll bring the shutter speed up greatly,,,less chance of blurr....also the flash is good to 10 feet maximum,,,,any more than that you`ll need an external flash....the less zoom you use the better,,,crop and enlarge in PSE3.0.....zooming in lets less light in..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:38 PM   #3

I read the entire web site that was referenced here, http://www.shortcourses.com/using/index.htm and am more confused than ever. I'll certainly have to spend more time there and some experimenting. I would be greatful if someone could give me a cheating head start to help me on my way.

Almost all my photos from 3 to 6 feet using Auto Mode, indoor with normal lighting are too blurry and/or too dark.

What settings can I try to make these pictures good like all the digital cameras I've used before? I've tried the Scene Modes that are appropriate and the camera flashes twice and are still blurry or dark.

If I switch to P mode, what should I try changing?
If I switch to A mode, what should I try?
What about S mode? Do all of these modes work together in unison or are each for remembering variable settings?
Is C mode just for saving settings in that mode, or does it save them for all modes?

I get absolutely no information out of the online manual that helps me understand these options or how to use them, and there was no printed manual and Kodak doesn't help.

Any tips would be very much appreciated to help me get started with this camera. I'm presently very dissatisfied with it. No more indoor point & shoot, which is why I bought another Kodak. There has to be something wrong?

Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:44 PM   #4

Sorry Brian, guess we posted about the same time. I have tried that in P mode and didn't seem to make much difference. I'll try again. I guess I'll also try my external flash unit, although it's cumbersome and I didn't want to have to use if for everyday shooting. (In my home and upclose) I just assumed that since my last Kodak DC290 took great Auto photos, this one would too, but I was wrong... or something is wrong. I pan all the way out.
Don't have PSE, I use Thumbs Plus and have to edit each photo that I can even save extensively. I have to sharpen and lighten.
Thanks for the tip
Tim
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:46 PM   #5

When you change the settings of the ISO in P Mode, do you then take the photo in P mode, or do you switch back to Auto first or another mode?
Thanks
Tim
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:53 PM   #6

P mode is basically auto mode,,,but you can change white balance,iso,etc as in the other PASM modes.....you can just try upping the ISO in menu first,,,to see if your problem is focusing blurr or if it`s blurr caused by you shaking.....

A mode will only let you change the aperature,shutter speed is set by the camera,,this is good to use when you want to control the depth of field..

S mode will let you change only the shutter speed,,the aperature is set by the camera...this is good when you want to control the shutter speed more,,,,like when taking shots of moving objects...

M manual mode is the most creative,,,but you need experience to get good pics with this mode...

If upping the ISO does not help,,,,try focusing on something the same distance away with a more contrastthan the subject you are focusing on....the camera focuses best with higher contrast subjects.....

As for info on these modes,,,it`s in your CD manual that came with the camera,,,did you get one......

Oh,,,,,only use red eye mode (mode with 2 flash bursts),,,when taking pics of people,,,that is all it`s intended for.....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:16 PM   #7

Tried shots in P Mode with ISO set to 200, then 400. One good photo out of 6. All dark & blurry, now grainy too. Changed lighting in each pic. Turned on all the room lights and no change in picture. Terrible pictures compared with previous cameras in the same room with the same light.

I can't hold the camera any more still than I ever have. I'm very careful not to move it and to hold it firmly. And, as I mentioned before, it took great pics outside. I'm just wondering if they'd take this DX7590 back since I got it as a gift.
Tim
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:21 PM   #8

Itmight be easier tohelp youif we could see a sample picture along with the EXIF data.

KuoH
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:25 PM   #9

I'm sure you're doing everything you can to try and take a good picture, but are you making sure to hold the shutter down halfway just before taking the picture, so that the camera focuses first?

If so, I really don't know what else would be preventing you from taking better pictures... I have the DX7590 and have noticed that I do have a good portion of blurry shots, and the camera is a bit inconsistent at times. But overal I have been happy.

Perhaps you got a dud?
okcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:28 AM   #10

Here is some normal indoor snapshots I attempted this morning with various ISO settings. All approximately about 4 to 5 feet away from subject. I used to take photos like this with my DC290 all the time and 99% of them were great. That's what I can't figure out. I took 6 in this session and ALL were blurry and dark.

http://www.mytimbuk2.com/kodak_pics/100_0416.JPG

http://www.mytimbuk2.com/kodak_pics/100_0417.JPG

http://www.mytimbuk2.com/kodak_pics/100_0419.JPG

Tim