Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:13 PM   #1

Hi Everyone...new member here. I have been reading this forum for several weeks and everyone seems pretty helpful.

I bought my 6490 about a year ago after reading practically every review on Steve's site. I wouldn't trade my 6490 for anything...except maybe a 7590

I have been using it as a point and shoot, but now I find myself getting hooked on photography and have begun accessorizing it. I bought the lens adapter and a set of basic filters. My question is about external flashes. I'm leaning towards the Sunpak 383 super but I am unsure of the type of bracket that would be best. Would it be better to have the flash off to the side and above the camera or above the camera in the middle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

Hi Bob;

I have a Sunpak 383 and am very happy with it. I am using a simple side bracket with no trouble at all. I used it today to take some landscape shots with falling snow in the foreground. (I know, I know... you can't use a flash on landscapes... I used to flash to accentuate the snow within flash range.) I'll post some when I get a chance.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:13 PM   #3

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply!

I think that is the setup that I am going to go with too, as soon as I find a good deal online. I hate to buy everything online but there are no really good camera stores in my area. This isn't exactly a cheap hobby is it?I was out today too, wehad a pretty good fog covering here and thought I would try my luck. (had mixed results) but I guess that is what being a newbie is all about.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:24 AM   #4

Hi Bob;

You can find good pricesonline, but keep in mind that shipping and other charges can really affect the bottom line. When I ordered my 383 B&H (one of the most reputable photo retailers) there was a $20+ shipping fee, and import duties to Canada were $20+ as well, so my final figure was considerably higher than I anticipated.

That being said, I'm really glad I bought the 383. It is not only more powerful than the in-camera flash, it is so much more versatile.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

By the way... welcome to the forums.
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote