Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:46 PM   #1

:?:?:?:?I bought a vivatar 283 to use with my 7590. When I plug it in and not open the pop up flash the camera doesn't acknowledge the vivatar. What is the correct way to get this to work.The whole purpose of the external flash is to eliminate red eye ,and have a lot more flash distance,and save the cameras battery.Is the only way I can use this set up is to have the camera in manual mode?If thats the case it sucks.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
prowlerregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:54 PM   #2

The external flash synch socketis triggered every time the shutter is released,,,regardless of the mode you are in and settings you have...and you do not have to have the internal flash on..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:00 PM   #3

Brianhare,thanks for the reply.I guess I didn't ask the question the right way.I thought if I hooked up an external flash it would work like the pop up flash.

IE:the shutter speed would be set like when I turn on the pop up flash on.

I hope I said it right,so you can understand what info I need.:??:??:??
prowlerregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:12 PM   #4

So you thought it would change the shutter speed,,,uppping it like the internal flash would then......if i`m getting you correctly......

No,,,it can`t,,,the camera just triggers the synch socket,,each time the camera shutter releases,,,there is no way the camera knows ,,,if,,,or when you are using an external flash,,in other words it`s not a dedicated flash control,,or TTL,,type link to the flash unit......

You can on the other hand,,,and this works well by the way,,,,,use both flashes at the same time,,,,then the DC will raise the shutter speed some,,recognize the flash onboard,,and trigger both,,,,,great idea when you bounce the external off the ceiling,,,or going beyond the 10 feet or so the onboard is good for...you will have to play a little with it if firing both straight ahead though....and it works best with red-eye mode off...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote