Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:32 PM   #1

Has anyone used the wide angle lens for the kodak 6490? I am thinking about buying the adapter and lens from Kodak. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance...........TomET
TomET is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:36 AM   #2

Hi, Yes i have the Wideangle Lens for the DX6490, very nice for landscapes but a little soft around the edges in enclosed areas.

Should only be used as a Wideangle converter, not much point in using zoom, some people do but it defeats the purpose.

When I am not using the Wideangle I leave the adapter on with a UV or Skylight Filter, also a 55mm rubber lens hood, great protection for the lens.

Regards
Dave
Downunder.
OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:24 PM   #3

Good advice OldShtterbug, I just bought the wideangle lens and haven't had chance to use it. Thank You.

Scottie
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:58 PM   #4

This is a great lens. It came in quite handy in NYC this summer, where it is not easy to get a whole building on the framefrom across the street. See: Guggenheim

I agree about the strange effect from trying zoom with this lens. It does defeat the purpose, and the effect is not highly recommended, but it is interesting.

My advice... get the lens, add some filters and a lens hood... maybe throw in a TCON-17 just for fun. One problem - adding the adaptor and any lens will pretty much render your flash useless. You mayhave to invest in an external. Check the forums, there's lots of recommended flashes for this camera.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:11 PM   #5

Where in Alberta are you from Scottie?
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 8:29 PM   #6

Hi Vesper, I'm in Spruce Grove, and work in Edmonton. How are things in the Oil Sands country? I'm sure I'm going to need a wide angle lens for taking pictures of the 797's if I get a chance to get up there again.

scottie
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:39 PM   #7

I ordered my Wide Angle Lens from Don's Photo in Edmonton a couple days ago for my 7590... Unfortunatly, Kodak has it back ordered for the next 2 weeks. Just as well I suppose it has been cloudy up here for weeks.
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote