Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:19 PM   #1

my new dx7630. I didnt take out the extended warranty. i have had it a week now.

today I traveled to the heath expo in chicago, took a lot of pictures, but on the way home I noticed the lenses were making a awful grinding noise, but i wasnt positive that I just didnt notice it before. i immediatly called Circuit City when I got home, he said bringing it in and listen t the demo camera they have.

I did and disaapointly it made the same noise, but not as bad as mine. a sales person came along, he didnt hear the noise on the demo model. So i pulled out my camera. He head the noise on mine right away and said he will exchange it for me. and they tried to talk me into the warranty again. I just didnt do it. but on the way home I thought of that demo camera... it was making the same noise... its it because so many people have handled it and used it? should I expect this one to do the same? and the real funny part of this..
when i got the other one, I question the salesperson when i bought it if it was opened before because the tape on it was wierd. he didnt know. i said i wanted to open it then and there before i left because i always seem to get reused stuff. I did. and it really really looked ok. but when i got home today, this new one had "demo pics" on the favorites screen, the other one didnt. so maybe I did indeed have a returned one before. I dont know.

I have 7 more days to be able to take out the warranty. should i?
AquaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:25 PM   #2

my camera whe i use the lens to zoom in or out it only makes a slight hum so if you are getting grinding noises you should exchange it Ive tried to get mine to make other noises but the only other noise I here is the constant auto focus
toadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:12 AM   #3

well I did exchange it. Now its all quite again with the normal zoom noises. Actually the noise is when the lenses were going in not out.

I am just thinking about that demo camera making the same noises. And if I should take out a warranty to protect myself.

But I am sure you have far exceeded the number of pictures i have taken and you ahve had yours for about 2 weeks longer then me. and yours isnt doing it..

i hate uncertainty..
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4

I did not buy an extended warrenty for either of my cameras but I did buy one for my sons playstation 2 so do what makes you feel comfortable and take as many pics as possible:|
toadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:29 PM   #5

If this bothers you,,,then buy the warranty,,it`ll take this off your mind Aquacity,,,,things like that can eat at some people and this will discourage you from enjoying it fully...and be afraid to use it a lot.......

One real question you need to answer here first,,,,are you going to keep it after a year or so,,,or do you plan to upgrade and go onto a diff kodak later when the new and improved models tempt you,,,if so,,,then you wasted the warranty money,,,,think about it first.....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:11 AM   #6

I purchased the Kodak 6490 8 months ago from Best Buy,and took out there 4 year extended warranty.I'm so Thankful I did !! Yesterday my extended zoom locked up !!It wouldn't retract back in.So I took it back to Best Buy.Of coures they don't carry the 6490 anymore.I payed the $100.00 difference with a $50.00 rebate and got the Kodak 7590.If it hadn't been for getting Best Buys warranty I would have had to sent my camera back to Kodak for repair or replacement,no telling how long it would have been gone !!!

I hope I'm as happy with the 7590 as I was the 6490

Oh by the way Best Buys extended warranty for years only cost me $59.00 so it paid off to have it !!!

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:23 AM   #7

I personally would definatly take out an extended warrenty. With every major electronic purchase we make, we are sure to get the warrenty. You just never know what could happen.
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:13 AM   #8

Oi, I dont know what to do. I contaacted Kodak about their warranty. Which is 13 months. I read the liturature from Circuit City abou their extended warranty. Its no different from kodaks except of course the extended part. So my decision came to, I am not going to do it. If after a year my camera breaks, there will probably be csomething else I want instead...

however... last night my cd-rom drive broke on my mac. It came to a screeching halt literally. I dug out my 3 year extended warranty to see if its still valid. I have 14 days left until it ends.

so now I am back to thinking I should get the circuity cityy warranty on m y camera.

still loving my camera though
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:50 PM   #9

According to Consumer Reports' surveys, approximately 8% of digital cameras ever require repair. So the odds are you'll never have a problem. If you do buy an extended warranty, they recommend you buy it from the manufacturer, not the vendor. The exception to that rule is laptop computers, where they recommend you get the extended warranty.

http://cf.consumerreports.org/tv/ind...5&station=wisn

Dave
dmjohn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:28 AM   #10

check with your credit card company about warranties. Some credit cards automatically extend the warranty for free when you use the card to purchase the product.
david seppala is offline   Reply With Quote